What to eat?

Options
I'm sure this is a question that's already been answered and has a link, but I can't find it. So I'm going to ask it. :grumble:

Can I eat anything, as long as I stay within/under my alloted calories?
Today we had BBQ, I had boneless skinless chicken breast, corn on the cob, a small serving of rippled potatoe chips, a turkey hot dog, cake, and ice cream.

I know it seems like a lot, but it was my daughter's first birthday! The chicken was a small peice. The cake was also a small peice, and a little bit of ice cream...not even a whole scoop!

After adding everything I've consumed today, pluse my excercise, I managed to stay under my calories.

Can I eat like that, and not worry about it too much, as long as I stay under my calories, and excercise?:huh:

Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

ALC

178464.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Replies

• Amber42803
    Amber42803 Posts: 143
    Options
    I'm sure this is a question that's already been answered and has a link, but I can't find it. So I'm going to ask it. :grumble:

Can I eat anything, as long as I stay within/under my alloted calories?
    Today we had BBQ, I had boneless skinless chicken breast, corn on the cob, a small serving of rippled potatoe chips, a turkey hot dog, cake, and ice cream.

I know it seems like a lot, but it was my daughter's first birthday! The chicken was a small peice. The cake was also a small peice, and a little bit of ice cream...not even a whole scoop!

After adding everything I've consumed today, pluse my excercise, I managed to stay under my calories.

Can I eat like that, and not worry about it too much, as long as I stay under my calories, and excercise?:huh:

Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

ALC

178464.png
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Once in a while doesn't hurt....and even if you ate like that all the time and stayed under your calories, you would probably still lose weight. BUT....the nutritional value of cake and ice cream and chips and greasy stuff is not going to do your body any good (and could hurt it of course) Save stuff like that for cheat days, and incorporate more fruits and veggies into your diet, lean meats and protein and you should be fine.
  • in_to_win
    in_to_win Posts: 17
    Options
    Try to eat 'real' foods like fruits, veggies, whole grains. You may be under your calories but eating that crap can't make you feel good physically.
  • Amber42803
    Amber42803 Posts: 143
    Options
    Once in a while doesn't hurt....and even if you ate like that all the time and stayed under your calories, you would probably still lose weight. BUT....the nutritional value of cake and ice cream and chips and greasy stuff is not going to do your body any good (and could hurt it of course) Save stuff like that for cheat days, and incorporate more fruits and veggies into your diet, lean meats and protein and you should be fine.

Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Usually I don't eat all the greasy stuff, and cake and ice cream, but tonight was definately a "cheat" night. It was my daughter's FIRST birthday. But the reason I asked was because I can't afford to buy and prepare seperate meals from my family, so I eat what they do, only less. Things like Hamburger Helper, spaghetti, you know the usual stuff. Two of my son's are on High Calories diets, and my hubby... well... he's stubborn and hard headed :blushing: I love him though:heart: He's not big on the eating healthy thing. :heart: But the Hamburger helper and all that's okay as long as you don't go overboard right? I'm also considering instead of using Hamburger, using Turkey. What do you think?

ALC

178464.png
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Usually I don't eat all the greasy stuff, and cake and ice cream, but tonight was definately a "cheat" night. It was my daughter's FIRST birthday. But the reason I asked was because I can't afford to buy and prepare seperate meals from my family, so I eat what they do, only less. Things like Hamburger Helper, spaghetti, you know the usual stuff. Two of my son's are on High Calories diets, and my hubby... well... he's stubborn and hard headed :blushing: I love him though:heart: He's not big on the eating healthy thing. :heart: But the Hamburger helper and all that's okay as long as you don't go overboard right? I'm also considering instead of using Hamburger, using Turkey. What do you think?

ALC

178464.png

I feel your pain....my boyfriend would starve to death if I started making tofu for dinner (I think I would too), but you can cook one meal for everyone that is still healthy enough for you.

First of all, replacing certain ingredients will help a ton. I totally agree with your idea to replace hamburger with ground turkey. It's much better for you and I honestly can't taste much of a difference. It does look a little different, but mixed into something like hamburger helper, your family most likely won't notice. And of course don't tell them you switched it or they'll think it taste different even if it doesn't. Make sure to stick to the serving guidelines for yourself, and incorporate some healthy sides like veggies or fruit. If you drink milk, switch from whatever your drinking to fat free skim.....use light salad dressings instead of regular (and incorporate a side salad with each meal) use the light version of anything that they make a light version of.

You can also do better if you "make" more meals rather than use pre-packed meals like hamburger helper. My grocery budget is extremely low ($70 for two people for two weeks) and pretty much every meal I make is made from scratch...well not 100% but they are not prepacked meals. Check out the recipe board here for new ideas, and also delish.com has some good ones.
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options
    That's pretty much how I've been doing it & it's worked for me so far :)

That being said, I've also been trying to pay attention to my fat intake as well - which is where you could end up "paying for it". I've had a tough time keeping within the fat intake limits (really, I just love my XL Double-Doubles from Timmy's waaaaay too much! Ha ha!) but I'm now trying to make a conscious effort there as well.

Good luck with your journey though :happy: