Anyone compare calories burned between machine/MFP/HRM?

Options
I just finished my workout on my treadmill. I did a warm up and cool down, for 5 min each, and ran at 5.0-5.2 for 20 minutes. According to the treadmill, I burned 323 calories. I'm 5'6", and right now weigh 167. My heartrate was 180 for a good part of the run, I counted it at 2 different times. Does that seem like an accurate burn? I don't have a HRM, and probably won't get one for a little while. I don't want to think I burned more or less than I did. I'm trying to find that magical place between eating some/all/none of my exercise calories back, and still get the results I'm looking to achieve.

BTW...I've seen a cardiologist, for another issue, even had a sonogram. My heart is perfectly fine. I was tested a few years ago by a trainer that had a PhD in exercise physiology(I believe), and even though my HR gets up pretty high, I recover quick. He said it was fine for me, that's just the way I am. So I'm not worried at ALL about the high HR.

Is there a more accurate way for my to measure my burn w/out a HRM?

Replies

• fitobsessed
    Options
    I don't think so - when I started using my HRM and seeing what MFP had estimated, it was always off. Depending on the exercises it might have been by 50 cals, oftentimes it was off by 100+ cals.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I just got a HRM and tested it against my treadmill. HRM was about 30 calories lower then treadmill and MFP was higher still. MFP is known for over estimating calories burned.
    IMO however, if you are exercising and logging and losing weight, what difference does it make? The point is to get more active and be healthy right?
  • lalala06
    lalala06 Posts: 153
    Options
    not sure about treadmill but in 30 mins i burn 250ish calories on my elliptical according to my HRM while the machine says i burned about 300+
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I just got a HRM and tested it against my treadmill. HRM was about 30 calories lower then treadmill and MFP was higher still. MFP is known for over estimating calories burned.
    IMO however, if you are exercising and logging and losing weight, what difference does it make? The point is to get more active and be healthy right?

I agree, the point IS to get healthy! I'm just trying to find that balance of calories, w/& w/out exercise, that works best for me. I want to get a HRM. It's a little out of my price range right now. Thanks for the help!