Im a little lost on My

Options
When setting up my goals, MFP asks me to indicate how much weight I want to lose per week. In the pull down menu, I select 2 lbs per week. But, in the My Fitness Goals area, it shows my projected weightloss is 1.4 lbs per week. What am I doing wrong or is there a way to fix this without doing a custom goal? I do not know enough about calories and nutrition at this point to feel comfortable to customize it.

Thank you

Replies

• annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    When setting up my goals, MFP asks me to indicate how much weight I want to lose per week. In the pull down menu, I select 2 lbs per week. But, in the My Fitness Goals area, it shows my projected weightloss is 1.4 lbs per week. What am I doing wrong or is there a way to fix this without doing a custom goal? I do not know enough about calories and nutrition at this point to feel comfortable to customize it.

Thank you
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    This is only a guess, but I am assuming that since you don't have THAT much weight to lose, upon entering your weight and goal weight and such, the system actually won't let you lose 2 pounds a week as it is not recommended.

You seem to have about as much weight to lose as my goal....so the healthiest, most recommended way to do that is by losing a pound a week. Two pounds is more for someone that is obese or morbidly obese (probably someone who needs to lose 100 pounds or more is my guess). One pound a week doesn't seem like a lot, but you'll start seeing results quickly. I've been at this for a year and I've lost 40 and I feel GREAT. I am amazed everyday by my progress, so you'll get there soon enough. Just remember, slow and steady wins the race.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    1.4 lbs probably gives you at a net of 1200 calories. MFP wont let you go under because you risk becoming malnourished and slowing down your metabolism (forcing your body to hold onto fat and resist burning it).

EDIT: Kudos for quitting smoking!

and Welcome!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Ahhh, I understand. Thank you!!

I didn't think about that. I just figured I needed to lose the standard 2 lbs a week. It actually made me feel a little better since I was sitting here thinking that I had such a long way to go.

Thanks on the kudos :) I can breathe much better now :smile:

Sorry about the extra posts (and the unfinished title)...Im sitting in the dark typing this on a small laptop and my fingers went crazy pushing buttons for a minute.