Need advice... I feel great for 2 weeks a month and exhauste

Options
So I have been feeling really tired and worn down the last week or so. I started taking an iron supplement last night. I take a daily vitamin and 2000 of vitamin D. Does anyone else go through spurts like this? It seems like I have 2 weeks a month where I feel really good and a week or two where I am really tired and exhausted. Not sure why. Its making it really hard with losing weight. I am able to fly through my workouts when I feel great. Then its hard just to make it through my day the other weeks. I am open for any advice and input. Thanks.

Replies

• lady_tanya
    Options
    maybe it's a time of the month related thing? are you having a problem with anemia? perhaps trying to up your carb intake on the mornings of sluggish feeling days and see if that boosts your energy?
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I am a HOT MESS when my hormones fluctuate, so for the week before my period and the week of my period (2 weeks a month), I feel like I am trying to just hold my **** together. The only advice I can give you is to keep pushing.

Added- any possibility you might have a mood disorder? It can make your experiences during those 2 weeks MUCH more difficult than they are for the average Jane.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hormones kill me, too! First two weeks of the cycle I don't care a bit about food, but after the halfway mark, I'm oonstantly starving. If someone has a solution, please post it!
  • VinaAnderson
    Options
    I am a HOT MESS when my hormones fluctuate, so for the week before my period and the week of my period (2 weeks a month), I feel like I am trying to just hold my **** together.

I am the SAME way. It's 2 weeks on and 2 weeks of hanging on for dear life!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    You do realize that, if you take too much iron, you can get heavy metal poisoning, right?

You shouldn't just be randomly adding in supplements based on your symptoms but based on lab work. Get lab work to see if you are anemic (then you'd need iron), if your B12 is low (then extra iron won't do squat), if your vitamin D is low (you want it at least at 50 even if the lab says lower is okay) or if it's some other problem.

Lots of vitamin and mineral deficiencies cause fatigue but so do a host of other problems including not getting enough sleep, thyroid problems, sleep apnea, etc, etc.

Throwing water soluble supplements at your symptoms without knowing what your levels are is a good way to get expensive pee but throwing fat soluble ones and certain minerals is a good way to get to toxic levels and is dangerous.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? Symptoms are classic underactive thyroid signs.
  • anitaplus4
    anitaplus4 Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice and reply. I think I will set up a doctor's appointment and see if they can figure it out.:smile: