Rails to Trails

Options
Today I had my first chance to experience the Rails to Trails program that many states are doing. Basically old railways are paved and are only for non motorized vehicles or pedestrians. We rode 52 miles on the Chief Ladiga (AL)/Silver Comet (GA) trail and it was an awesome, awesome experience. The scenery was exceptional. The friends I went with were so much fun to be with and b/c we didn't have to deal with traffic, we could ride side by side and actually talk while riding. If you have a Rails to Trails program in your area I highly suggest you take full advantage of it. We drove 2 hours to get to the one we rode on today. Hope to go back in a few weeks and ride 100!!!!

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Today I had my first chance to experience the Rails to Trails program that many states are doing. Basically old railways are paved and are only for non motorized vehicles or pedestrians. We rode 52 miles on the Chief Ladiga (AL)/Silver Comet (GA) trail and it was an awesome, awesome experience. The scenery was exceptional. The friends I went with were so much fun to be with and b/c we didn't have to deal with traffic, we could ride side by side and actually talk while riding. If you have a Rails to Trails program in your area I highly suggest you take full advantage of it. We drove 2 hours to get to the one we rode on today. Hope to go back in a few weeks and ride 100!!!!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    how cool!
    i grew up in the chicago suburbs and we had a great trail from the Botanical Gardens at the North all the way down to the city. I never rode that far, but i loved how the trail went thru forest preserve sections as well as suburbs. good good memories.

hope your next outing you meet your 100mi goal!
  • bugmagnt
    bugmagnt Posts: 150
    Options
    Missouri has the Katy Trail which goes across much of the state... and there are plans to expand it closer to my home (towards Kansas City). Glad you had a great trip!

Also, I LOVE your pic with your Basset Hound.... I have one too -- just grayer in the muzzle at 13 years old... :smile: A great companion!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Hi Bambi, I haven't seen you post for a while, good to see that you're still here! Yes, I love the program. We have quite a number of them here in PA, usually along a river, making for a scenic and pleasant ride.

Bambi, did I mention that I bought a road bike as a companion to my Trek hybrid? I got a nice Cannondale Synapse 2008 leftover model. SOOO much faster! Yesterday I installed a Cateye wireless cyclocomputer and a small seatbag to carry a spare tube and CO2.
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Hi Bambi, I haven't seen you post for a while, good to see that you're still here! Yes, I love the program. We have quite a number of them here in PA, usually along a river, making for a scenic and pleasant ride.

Bambi, did I mention that I bought a road bike as a companion to my Trek hybrid? I got a nice Cannondale Synapse 2008 leftover model. SOOO much faster! Yesterday I installed a Cateye wireless cyclocomputer and a small seatbag to carry a spare tube and CO2.

I have been lurking around, just have not posted much. Glad you found a road bike! I love, love, love mine!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Missouri has the Katy Trail which goes across much of the state... and there are plans to expand it closer to my home (towards Kansas City). Glad you had a great trip!

Also, I LOVE your pic with your Basset Hound.... I have one too -- just grayer in the muzzle at 13 years old... :smile: A great companion!

Basset's ROCK! The one in my pic is Hoover, our newest one. We have an old girl named Daisy too. I have had two others as well. I don't think I will ever own another kind of dog! They are the sweetest things ever!