wheat free & nut free breakfast cereal

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
Any suggestions for breakfast cereal that doesn't contain wheat or nuts?

Been having Rice Krispies and Oats but getting bit bored with them after 8 months! I love a bowl of cereal for supper.

It said online that granola was wheat free but I can't find one also nut free most seem to contain peanut, almond or coconut even if its wheat free.

It mentioned corn or rice based cereals but I can't think of any others besides cornflakes and Rice Krispies!

Replies

• idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    What about Chex? They make rice and corn. I buy cinnamon chex. It reminds me of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    It's really easy to make your own granola! Then you can make it without nuts, as well as control the fat and sugar.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    What about Chex? They make rice and corn. I buy cinnamon chex. It reminds me of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal.

is this a UK product? .. toast would suggest bread/wheat?
  • shakybabe
    Options
    It's really easy to make your own granola! Then you can make it without nuts, as well as control the fat and sugar.

I'm not even sure what it is to be honest I've never had it, is like Muesli? how would I make it myself?
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I can't have wheat or almonds (or eggs, or dairy) so i pretty much gave up on breakfast foods.
    I found gluten free cinnamon raisin bagels yesterday so that's the first real breakfast food I've had in a long time but honestly I don't really miss it. You get used to having other things.

Unless cereal is something you REALLY REALLY love I'd just find something else to eat.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Skinny B is wheat and nut free: http://holycrap.ca/product/skinny-b-cereal/ But it is very expensive.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    You can get millet flakes in health stores!

Sure I've seen some sugar puff style cereal in the wheat/gluten free sections of Tesco too
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I like gluten free old fashioned rolled oats.
  • shakybabe
    Options

Thanks, that one has coconut in though. I can't eat any type of nut. I'll see if I can find the sugar puff style ones.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    You can get millet flakes in health stores!

Sure I've seen some sugar puff style cereal in the wheat/gluten free sections of Tesco too

Do you eat millet flakes cold with milk or cook it in microwave like oats?
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I hope you're eating gluten free Rice Krispies, because regular Rice Krispies aren't wheat/gluten free!
  • melbaby925
    Options
    I just started eating Quinoa and Rice cereal - try the health food shop for it.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Oh, and check the health/natural food aisles at your supermarket. EnviroKidz makes some really good wheat, gluten, and nut free cereals.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    "Holy Crap"and "Skinny B" are breakfast cereals that do not contain nuts or wheat. They're not your typical cereal tho..
  • shakybabe
    Options
    I've been looking on Ocado site where I shop, they have gluten free corn flakes but contains nuts so I looked up kelloggs corn flakes out of curiosity and they don't contain wheat or nuts, then I remembered Frosties from childhood were corn, so looked those up but again got peanut warning although no peanuts were listed in the actual ingredients!

Rice Krispies don't contain wheat but it has a warning on for Barley which I think contains gluten, luckily I don't have a problem with that.

For me the problem seemed to be I was eating way too much wheat and carbs as I used to eat wheat based cereal for breakfast and supper and/or toast, bread with sandwiches and often pasta with dinner and I just couldn't lose weight even with calorie counting, once I dropped the wheat I've still been losing even though I'm eating more than I was just calorie counting!

I'm re-introducing some carbs like rice and potato once a week now I'm only 5lb off goal, I've been using gluten free bread but after learning the difference between gluten free and wheat free I'm wondering if things like rye bread would be ok for toast and sandwiches?
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

is this a UK product? .. toast would suggest bread/wheat?

I am in the United States. Chex is made by General Mills. It comes in either wheat, corn or rice. Cinnamon toast crunch cereal is definitely made from wheat, but that's what cinnamon Chex reminds me of. It's yummy. I don't know if you have General Mills cereal in the UK.