carb cyclers.. can't u gain weight doing this?

Options
if you do really low carb one day then high carb the next.. can't you gain weight? like doing atkins low carb then you eat high carb.... i've heard alot of people re-gain weight. how does this work?

Replies

• cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    No, you gain weight when you eat more calorie than you burn. If the net effect of the two days come out equal, then you will stay the same weight. Its math.
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    For 20 years my brother ate super low carb daily of around >18 carbs per day. On the weekend he ate whatever he wanted. He never gained any weight doing this. Since he got into P90X his nutritional goals have changed.

For 13 years I ate under >50 carbs a day, maintaining until stupid behavior occurred during the holiday season. I never had a cheat day, like my brother, I've had "cheat seasons". That'll pack the weight on.

I managed to maintain have an occasional cheat meal at Chinese or Indian. But never a cheat day.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You may just gain water weight but that subsides after a couple of days.

"I've had "cheat seasons". That'll pack the weight on" - yes this was me too. Always occurred after I was strict low-carbing for a few months.

I think there is a difference to cheat days OR carb cycling - When you are doing the carb cycle (there is another name for it cant think now) you have a lot of carb but keep it low fat. The cheat days you eat whatever you want regardless of the macros.
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there's a difference. On of my buddies in the weight room does this. He's pretty buff.