Decent mexican restaurant choices?

Any ideas for food choices at a mexican restaurant that won't be totally awful with calories? Besides a tostada....

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Always ask for whole beans in place of refried ones, and skip the chips. I usually get a taco salad without the shell.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Fajitas with charro beans
  • jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 119 Member
    Fajitas without tortillas or taco salad without eating the shell
  • One of my favorite Mexican places has a salad that I love (and I'm not really into salad). It's a grilled shrimp salad. It has onion, avadaco, shrimp, green peppers, shredded cheese and jalepenos on it. I don't get any dressing, I just sqeeze lime juice all over it (it comes with a lime) and it's really good! I get a side of refrieds and rice, eat about half of what they give me, and it's just over 600 calories for the whole meal.
    I've seen a similar salad at most other Mexican restaurants but they normally have boiled shirmp instead of grilled shrimp- I don't like boiled shrimp at all. Sometimes they'll give me grilled shrimp if I ask and sometimes they won't.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Fish tacos
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Good call on the fish tacos, i may do that!
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Ceviche is super yummy! Simple soft tacos on corn tortillas. Ask for the sauce and cheese on the side so you can control the portion you use. Fajitas cooked with little oil.
  • natalie2355
    natalie2355 Posts: 93 Member
    i always get steak fajitas and skip the stuff that comes on the "extra plate"
  • Try the ceviche its mainly seafood. Its delicious & good source of protein but not high in calories.
  • Well, I use mexican food as my cheat/treat meal, so I usually just get whatever.

But, when I do end up going out on a date or something, and it's not my cheat meal, I will get shredded chicken tacos on corn tortillas, and make sure I tell them I don't want anything cooked in any oil. And no sour cream on the tacos. I then load all the tacos with pico and salsa, because I loveee that stuff.

I try not to eat the chips, but I always end up eating the chips. I try to stop at one basket.