Organic Must Haves

Options
skywa
skywa Posts: 901 Member
Is there anything you ALWAYS buy organic? Or for the most part prefer to buy organic?

I personally buy a lot of my fruits and vegtables organic. Partially because i worry about pesticides, but also because there are tons of local farmers markets here. Also i live on an island, so i think its important to support the local economy.

I also tend to buy organic soy/almond milk, and eggs (because i buy it from whole foods).

Replies

• skywa
    Options
    bump
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    absolutely:

soft berries
    apples
    peppers
    corn (whether it's whole corn, corn meal, corn starch, tortillas...)
    soy products
    greens

prefer:
    wheat products
    peel fruit & veggies (stuff you generally peel to eat)
  • skywa
    Options
    why though?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    My must have organics are the ones where you eat the flesh and appear on the "dirty dozen" list.

These are the ones I won't compromise on any longer:

http://www.organic.org/articles/showarticle/article-214

12 Most Contaminated
    ■Peaches
    ■Apples
    ■Sweet Bell Peppers
    ■Celery
    ■Nectarines
    ■Strawberries
    ■Cherries
    ■Pears
    ■Grapes (Imported)
    ■Spinach
    ■Lettuce
    ■Potatoes

These and everything else I buy what is cheapest:

12 Least Contaminated
    ■Onions
    ■Avocado
    ■Sweet Corn (Frozen)
    ■Pineapples
    ■Mango
    ■Asparagus
    ■Sweet Peas (Frozen)
    ■Kiwi Fruit
    ■Bananas
    ■Cabbage
    ■Broccoli
    ■Papaya
  • MFPLynne
    MFPLynne Posts: 39 Member
    Options
  • lucybell333
    Options
    I will only buy organic milk - mostly because I have young children who still drink quite a bit. Otherwise, I try to buy as much as I can organic, but only if it's not significantly more expensive than the non-organic alternative.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Uhm...I still don't understand the big deal about not eating the skin of apples, etc. It's called washing them with soap and water. And I'm pretty sure that tiny amount of pesticides isn't nearly as harmful as inhaling all the fumes in a city on a daily basis. :huh:
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies. I don't like the idea of pesticides in my foods. About the only meat I eat is chicken and ham, I buy the "free range" chicken and try to find the ham with the least amount of hormone additives as possible. Normally we buy half a pig from local farms. The fruit and vegetables I can or freeze for winter.

I have been working on an "indoor" greenhouse for leafy greens and just started with tomatoes.