5 cal. Promise margarine

Options
2»

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for something different, try Brummel and Brown - it's only 45 calories per tablespoon, made with yogurt and tastes awesome! It's the only thing I buy anymore. I pay about 2$ for a 15 ounce tub at my grocery store.

http://www.brummelandbrown.com/
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion. I appreciate you answering the question. I looked at the link and the ingredient list for the Brummel and Brown looks, um, complicated.

INGREDIENTS: WATER, VEGETABLE OIL BLEND (LIQUID SOYBEAN OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL), NONFAT YOGURT* (CULTURED NONFAT MILK), SALT, GELATIN, VEGETABLE MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN, (POTASSIUM SORBATE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA) USED TO PROTECT QUALITY, LACTIC ACID, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, VITAMIN A (PALMITATE), BETA CAROTENE (FOR COLOR).

Not a fan of partially hydrogenated anything really.

Here's the ingredient list for Olivio Spreadable Butter:

SWEET CREAM, CANOLA OIL, EXTRA LIGHT OLIVE OIL, SALT, FLAXSEED OIL, AND NATURAL FLAVORINGS.
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options

I think his main point is to KNOW what you are ingesting. Lots of products have reduced calories because they have been lab-created (and while that fact all by itself doesn't necessarily mean it is unhealthy), it is good to know what you are eating.

I have to agree here. It is possible that there are people that aren't aware of what is in their food and perhaps IF they knew, it would make a difference as to whether or not they eat it.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I was wondering what the consensus was on a product called Olivio Spreadable Butter? It's got canola and olive and flax seed oils in it. It's not low calorie, but it is spreadable and I prefer it to margarine if I'm going to use some of my calories that way.

It's listed as having 80 calories per Tablespoon (all of them fat calories :wink: ). Does anyone else use this?

I've never heard of it or tried it, but with the ingredients listed on your later post, it looks perfectly fine to me. I don't usually go for low calorie condiments if it means they contain hydrogenated oils, sugars or completely unnecessary ingredients. Since I often spread coconut oil on my toast, I'm a fan of oils (of course in VERY small amounts because of how calorie dense they are). As much as I enjoy butter, it isn't spreadable, so your chosen "spread" looks like a good alternative.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Does coconut oil taste like coconut? Might have to try that on my toast.
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    Has anyone seen the comedy bit on "I can't believe its not butter"?

Basically a guy sues the company when he finds out he is eating foot ointment, the manufacturer's defense is "It says it is not butter on the label, What did you think you were eating?!"

We all got here from eating too much of _________ name your poison! Eat real food! Eat smaller portions, exercise often. Amen

Making your own Butter is easy with a food processor! small amount of salt and it has no artificial colors like the popular brands. I guess they think it tastes better if it is brighter yellow!
  • lisamac65
    Options
    Well heres what I have learned from personal experience about margarine. I left a 3 lb tub on the counter long enough to get warm ,upon realizing it, tried to pick up bowl, slipped through my hands,splatted on the cabinet and rubber backed rug below. I left it a little while , hour maybe tops, went back to clean it . The margarine had melted the rubber . I washed the rug, put it back on the floor ,it stuck to my tile. Threw it away, there was no saving my new rug. Makes you wonder, if it does the same thing to our guts!!!!

Butter: tried it, gave me heart- burn( often) stopped using it, it went away!!

Olive oil spray is great for making grilled cheese,garlic bread,just spray,sprinkle w/ garlic powder or whatever tickles your fancy. (cooks super fast--- watch it closely or it will burn in seconds)
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Ingredients in butter: Cream

Totally wrong!

Sometimes there's a pinch of salt too :laugh:

Actually butter is super easy to make, and you can get a good work out making it. Just buy a carton of heavy whipping cream, pour it into a jar/mason jar that is about 33% larger (you want it to be about 2/3rds full. Put the lid on and shake it for an hour, occasionally pouring off the whey (which you can save to make protein shakes if you're feeling intrepid). Birth to a plate/mold/can/another jar once it becomes a mostly solid mass, and add a pinch of salt or other flavorings, and then put it in the fridge. Prolly one of the simplest things in the world to make. A tbsp will get you less than 50 calories, a whole lot more flavor.

thank you
    that is all

AHHHHH don't you dare drain the liquid left over, that's pure buttermilk, and it's great in making homemade waffles and pancakes. On a personal note, my doc let me in on a secret, margarine in any form is one step away from being plastic!! that's just nasty, and you're putting it in your body...EWWWWWW grosssssss! I'm a butter girl all the way, and I do make my own, it holds for three weeks in the fridge, but never actually lasts that long, you can salt it or not, totally up to you.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI - my stepdad's heart doctor - yup HEART doctor - told him to use a mixture of 1/2 real butter and 1/2 EVOO. Not Promise anything. All natural, real stuff. They mix it at home - and it's yummy!! You do have to refrigerate it though. Sometimes, as Dave has mentioned previously, it is also about the quality of the food, not just the calorie count.
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options

As much as I enjoy butter, it isn't spreadable, so your chosen "spread" looks like a good alternative.

There is this thing out there called a butter boat. You put cold water in the bottom and another dish, that has your butter in it, sits in the water. It keeps your butter at the perfect temperature. It is always spreadable. And it keeps it from going bad on your counter in the summer. I think my hubby found it at a culinary specialty store.