I'm confused about the importance of protein

Options
2»

Replies

• Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You need protein to build muscle and to maintain the muscle you already have. That's why people who work out make sure they get enough protein.
    You also need it to function, the same way you need carbohydrates and fat.
    Just a shot in the dark here, but I'm assuming you don't know the first thing about nutrition...

That last bit was rude and unnecessary.

I agree, but don't say that too loudly or you'll get reported. I know because I said the same thing just a couple of minutes ago and it's vanished. Amazing how people can be nasty to others and when you point it out you are the one who gets in trouble.
  • Luke_Quist
    Luke_Quist Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How does one calculate the appropriate amount of protien that they need to be taking in? Normally? What about when lifting weights?

I use protien supplement once/day throughout my cardio conditioning the past few months. I just began lifting weights recently - still trying to figure out the right way to calculate my body's protien needs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, friend requests are welcome as I'm relatively new to the social side of MFP.

Thanks!

Your body can easily use 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass.

Sounds easy enough, but does sound like a lot. Thanks for the tip!
  • Cobb_66
    Cobb_66 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This does help a lot haha
    I remembered a few things about nutrition and protein's involvement from nutrition class a while back, but I wasn't sure how that applied to weight loss (as sometimes it only applies for people trying to bulk up, not lose weight).
    Thanks!! (:
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I will say I have an obese family member who is vegetarian, she is not good about meeting her protein levels and was told by both her physician and her nutritionist this is why she has severe cravings as well as sugar balance issues. The lack of prtein could also be the root reason she doesn't lose weight efficiently.

Unless she's on a starvation diet, it's really difficult to **not** meet minimum protein intake: 10% of all calories (recommend by WHO). True protein deficiency is really rare, and symptoms would be hair loss, edema, muscle wasting, and dermatitis. It is diagnosed by bloodwork, and would likely require a hospitalization.

Protein is broken down into amino acids, and those which are not used are filtered through the kidneys and excreted in urine. Most people eat way more protein than they actually need.

While it's true that eating at least 15% protein of total dietary calories can help stop cravings for some people (read this study: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0025929) she probably has "sugar balance issues" (which sounds like pre-diabetes) due to obesity. Unless she has severe edema due to protein deficiency, it's not likely that being a vegetarian is keeping her from losing weight.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    For the one who asked about a good protein shake I love Spirutein, it's the best tasting one I have found (and I've tried atleast 9 different brands) I can find it at Sprouts, Whole foods, GNC and HiHealth here in the states, so a natural foods store or a vitmain store should have it there