25 minute mile

Options
Hey guys. I'm new to this site and have just recently started exercising for the first time in years, tonight i was able to walk a 25 minute mile but would not have been able to go any further as I was starting to get a little queazy. I also cant jog for more than 30 seconds at a time. I tried doing the 30 second jog, 2 min walk thing but could only jog for a minute total, could not finish the third 30 second jog because I could feel my heart rate getting way to high and it scared me, is this a good start, should i just keep going and try to improve my walking mile or should i keep trying to jog?

thanks

Replies

• lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I would keep doing that until it gets easier then up the time (jog 45 seconds or 1 minute).

That is how i started with running. i did 2 minutes running/2 minutes walking and it was really tough in the beginning. I did that for quite a while then moved on to hills during the 2 minute run. Then tried just running and i made it 3 miles without stopping.

Now i run 2 - 3 days a week. Never thought i would like to run but i actually look forward to those workouts. I think because i really feel like i accomplish something!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Also,

I find the first couple of minutes are the toughest for me. Once i get through those then i am fine.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    That's a fine start. Do what you can and what you are comfortable doing.

You'll get better at it in time!
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When I go to the Y and I walk 2 laps and run 2 laps now but I started i walked 2 laps and jogged 1/2. I am just working up slowly. I promised my daughter I would run a 5 k with her before she leaves for college in the fall
  • lindawayne11
    lindawayne11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat...couldn't jog for more than a minute at a time. But, I am up to 10/15 minutes nonstop now and looking to go futher. It takes baby steps...jog for a minute then back to a walk, wait til you catch your breath and jog for another minute. Before you know it, you'll be sailing right along.
  • mlk8604
    mlk8604 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If it's difficult to run, but you want to increase your mile time, do a very gradual program of trying to walk faster. Instead of trying to run when your body is resisting, try to walk faster for 1 minute then return to normal pace. Repeat every few minutes or so. You'll go from 25 minute mile to 23 minute mile, 20 minute mile, etc. Once you're able to walk comfortably, you could try jogging for 30 seconds again. Don't get discouraged... your body will strengthen over time. It doesn't happen overnight, otherwise this site wouldn't be here :)
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'd keep doing what you are doing, I bet in a week or 2 you can jog for 45 seconds!
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    but....if you actually feel sick, I'd stop
  • kaileysgran
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

check out this website, my son does this and I'm starting tomorrow. It gradually builds you up to running. Hope this helps.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Personally, if you have just started to exercise and felt queasy after a 25 minute mile then I would say you should just keep walking and try to improve your time a little bit at a time. Leave the jogging attempt alone for a couple of weeks until you have built up a little more stamina.

Also, it would be a good idea to wear a heart rate monitor to give you a better idea of what is happening with your body.

Just keep moving, it will get easier but don't push yourself so hard that you end up injuring yourself and then giving up. This isn't a race, it is a lifestyle change...slow and steady will win in the end! :drinker:
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    We all have to start somewhere. The important part isn't the point where you begin. The important part is that you have begun! Well done on starting an exercise regime. Keep it up. You can do it!
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I would stick with walking! As you gain strength, you can walk a little faster! This race is not to the swift but to those who are consistant in their efforts! By walking every day, you'll be amazed how your body will respond! Keep up the good work! Add me if you need a cheerleader!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Just dont quit! Find something about your workout to focus on to keep you going and dont quit! The exercise will get easier and then you are going to miss those days when you burned tons and tons of calories because your heart will be so strong!
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree with the many who say keep doing what you are doing! I also add that if in 2 weeks you don't start feeling better you should see your doctor! No one here is medically qualified to treat you without seeing you and you have a relationship hopefully with your physician. They may have some aditional advice for you and can also be a great ally to you in your journey - I know mine is. I always feel great when I see her even if I only lose a pound or two cause she asks what I am doing and applauds my effort even when I feel like I am going nowhere!
    Good Luck to you and KEEP ON GOING!
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I agree with the many who say keep doing what you are doing! I also add that if in 2 weeks you don't start feeling better you should see your doctor! No one here is medically qualified to treat you without seeing you and you have a relationship hopefully with your physician. They may have some aditional advice for you and can also be a great ally to you in your journey - I know mine is. I always feel great when I see her even if I only lose a pound or two cause she asks what I am doing and applauds my effort even when I feel like I am going nowhere!
    Good Luck to you and KEEP ON GOING!

I agree with this!

Also, when I started my journey almost a year ago, I was walking a 21 minute mile. I kept walking and walking. Before I knew it, I was able to walk faster and longer. I didn't start adding any running to my program until about 3 months in. And... When I did, I did the Couch to 5K program. Now I can run about 6-7 miles!!!

Take it slow... it's not a race. As you become more fit, you will feel better and be able to do more!

Good luck in your journey!
  • unicornassassin
    unicornassassin Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about doing too much too soon, as other people have said. You don't want to hurt yourself or get burned out.

Maybe the Couch to 5k program could be helpful to increase your walking speed. During the running intervals, walk faster, and during the walk intervals walk at your normal pace.
  • kvreeken
    kvreeken Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I'm new to this site and have just recently started exercising for the first time in years, tonight i was able to walk a 25 minute mile but would not have been able to go any further as I was starting to get a little queazy. I also cant jog for more than 30 seconds at a time. I tried doing the 30 second jog, 2 min walk thing but could only jog for a minute total, could not finish the third 30 second jog because I could feel my heart rate getting way to high and it scared me, is this a good start, should i just keep going and try to improve my walking mile or should i keep trying to jog?

thanks

The first thing you should do if haven't already is talk to your doctor and tell him/her what you plan on doing for your exercise.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think with you being scared of your high heart rate you should speak with your doctor before starting any rigorous activity to determine at what level you should start at.
  • thedavephan
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I do have a heart rate monitor and during the 25 minute mile it ranged from 140-165bpm. When I jog it goes to 180 or so then continues to rise the longer I jog up to 200 (that is when I stop because it kinda scares me). Although I have no side effects from the high heart rate, other than the high heart rate. I have always had a high maximum heart rate and have had a full cardiac workup within the last couple years. I think I will continue just walking for now and try to reduce my walking mile time for a few weeks before I try to jog again and then I may try the couch 2 5k program. I am already noticing an increase in my stamina from the last 4 or 5 days of cardio while doing everyday things.

Thanks again everyone for the replies.