starvation mode is real

Options
I posted thisunder another topic as a reply to someone who was discouraged because she was doing all of the "right" things but the scale was going the wrong way...so I thought my story might be worth repeating for the unbelievers.:laugh:

"Read some of the articles about starvation mode. I didn't believe it...until it happened for me. I wasn't losing although I was going to the YMCA 4-5 times per week and my net calories were more like 800-1000! I just thought, "What's the deal?!?":mad: Then I started eating more and better foods bringing my net calories closer to 1200 and viola!:love: I started losing a pound per week. I also purchased a heart rate monitor and stay within my heart rate range which is actually a lighter intensity than I was doing."

MFP Rocks! It is the very best site around! There are so many really knowledgable people on here who have helped me so much!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I posted thisunder another topic as a reply to someone who was discouraged because she was doing all of the "right" things but the scale was going the wrong way...so I thought my story might be worth repeating for the unbelievers.:laugh:

"Read some of the articles about starvation mode. I didn't believe it...until it happened for me. I wasn't losing although I was going to the YMCA 4-5 times per week and my net calories were more like 800-1000! I just thought, "What's the deal?!?":mad: Then I started eating more and better foods bringing my net calories closer to 1200 and viola!:love: I started losing a pound per week. I also purchased a heart rate monitor and stay within my heart rate range which is actually a lighter intensity than I was doing."

MFP Rocks! It is the very best site around! There are so many really knowledgable people on here who have helped me so much!:flowerforyou:
  • Meghan0129
    Meghan0129 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Do you know the name of the original post? I am interesting in reading it. Thanks for the info!
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    I had that problem and it was a real pain. Doing better now. Good luck with yours!!:flowerforyou:
  • mzaccardi
    mzaccardi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reminder. I started going back to the gym 3 weeks ago. I go 6 times a week cardio everyday and circuit training every other day. I do my best to eat all my calories, some days are better than others. I feel the difference in my body but I'm not seeing the results on the scale. It's very frustrating! My ultimate goal is to be healthier and get my diabetes under control. But it sure would be nice to see the numbers come down a little, just for the boost it would give to my self-confidence.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Do you know the name of the original post? I am interesting in reading it. Thanks for the info!

If you go to the top of this forum, there are sticky threads with tons of good info in them, including a couple on starvation mode. They're titled "links in MFP you want to read again and again" and "Newbies please read me, 2nd edition".

I know starvation mode was real for me. When I started back in January, my metabolism was pretty screwed up. Reading those threads really helped. I did have to read them again and again to get some of the things through my thick head!