I run like an elephant!

Options
Meghan0129
Meghan0129 Posts: 1,308 Member
I only am 5'3 and weigh 130 lbs. but when I try to run my shins ache and I sound like I’m going to break the treadmill! My trainer says I look like I’m marching when I run but he doesn’t know how to help me fix my form. I would love to be able to run, I know it’s a great cardio workout but it physically hurts. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Meghan0129
    Options
    I only am 5'3 and weigh 130 lbs. but when I try to run my shins ache and I sound like I’m going to break the treadmill! My trainer says I look like I’m marching when I run but he doesn’t know how to help me fix my form. I would love to be able to run, I know it’s a great cardio workout but it physically hurts. Any suggestions?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    tough to tell you without seeing. but there are form tutorials on the beginners section of www.runnersworld.com
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    go to runnersworld.com they have greast info, including the right form and how to avoind shin pain. i think it's weird that your "trainer" doesn't know what to tell you on how to correct your form...
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    I run like a turtle.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

As far as the sound goes that is mentally bugging you --- crank up your iPod. You do NOT sound like an elephant. You may be shorter than me, but you weigh less, and I know how I sound on the treadmill. :wink: I'm convinced that is all mental, so block the sound and turn up the music!

As far as your form -- in my non-medical opinion, so long as you don't experience any physical discomfort during or after your run, run any way you like. Don't you remember how Phoebe from "Friends" runs, even when it embarrasses Rachel? LOL (I'd find you a YouTube clip but I can't access that site from work.)

If you like running, run dear. Try that site Banks suggested. If your form isn't resulting in pain or injury, focus on the cardio and benefits and keep running!!

I've read that increasing your incline just slightly -- to 0.5 or 1.0 -- helps to reduce shin splints.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    the only thing I can recommend is getting away from the treadmill. When I try to run on a treadmill I find I lose my balance easily and it causes me to concentrate more on staying upright than on the running itself. I run ouside when the weather permits it, and when it doesn't I run laps around the gym at my fiance's school. I can't do the tradmill thing.
  • nightbeauty
    nightbeauty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    watch other runners! I am training for a 1/2 marathon next month and I was glued to the tube watching the boston marathon. Everyone has a slightly different form but you can get an idea of proper form. Agree with other comment on runnersworld.com. Check out coolrunnings.com as well.
    good luck!
  • Meghan0129
    Options
    I found the Friend's Phoebe running clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_0Ta_DIWuU
    It is funny. Thanks for sharing!
    I will definitely check out runnersworld.com I sure hope it helps. Although I think that Phoebe's running style is wonderful, I still don't want to be "that" girl.
  • heather93277
    Options
    I found the Friend's Phoebe running clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_0Ta_DIWuU
    It is funny. Thanks for sharing!
    I will definitely check out runnersworld.com I sure hope it helps. Although I think that Phoebe's running style is wonderful, I still don't want to be "that" girl.

LMAO.. I am that girl :blushing: which is why I don't run in public :bigsmile:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    the only thing I can recommend is getting away from the treadmill. When I try to run on a treadmill I find I lose my balance easily and it causes me to concentrate more on staying upright than on the running itself. I run ouside when the weather permits it, and when it doesn't I run laps around the gym at my fiance's school. I can't do the tradmill thing.

Nice to know I'm not alone. Everyone told me running outside was harder but I find the treadmill a lot harder. Besides being boring I have a hard time keeping my balance. I think it is because it is moving beneath me. I'm worried some day that I'll take a bad, embarrassing spill, I've come close a few times :laugh:

As for this thread, I agree that you need to see a professional if your form is hurting you. Most Running stores should be able to assess you or maybe even your doctor. I know my form needs improvement too. For me the problem is that I hold my arms and shoulders too stifly when I run. Apparently the best way to run is with your arms loose at your side and that you are only really suppose to pump/swing your arms when you need the momentum to go up a hill.

Another tip someone gave me was to chew gum while I run. I breath primarily from my mouth (I know, not really the best) and my mouth dries out quickly.

Anyways, good luck :smile:
  • Meghan0129
    Options
    Oh, I have taken a spill (fallen). I was trying the treadmill that has two treads that act as a stepper... it is similar to this nautilus_treadclimber.jpg
    Not a great machine for the uncoordinated.
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    I used to run like this.....it probably means when you run you put your whole foot down at once. This is actually not good for you as it can be jarring on your knees and lower back. You should always roll off your feet as you run..Does that make sense???hahaha From your heel to the toe you should roll off your feet...much better for you! But what everyone else said is right....Running room, tutorials will all help. My pilates instructor also taught me how to run better...so good luck!! :)