What do you eat for Fatty Fish and Omega 3

Options
chrissyh
chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
I am not a big fish eater - I love shell fish and very mild fish like RedSnapper and MahiMahi

I am looking for sources of fish that are great for Omegas and similiar to the mild taste of those above....I don't like salmon...

Thanks!

Replies

• chrissyh
    Options
    I am not a big fish eater - I love shell fish and very mild fish like RedSnapper and MahiMahi

I am looking for sources of fish that are great for Omegas and similiar to the mild taste of those above....I don't like salmon...

Thanks!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    salmon

sardines with hot spicy mustard
  • ken7
    ken7 Posts: 46
    Options
    buy omega 3 oil .... you can have a table-spoon a day w/o eating fishy fish....put it on a salad cook with it lightly ...ect. ect.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    buy omega 3 oil .... you can have a table-spoon a day w/o eating fishy fish....put it on a salad cook with it lightly ...ect. ect.

true
    but you dont get the protein
  • chrissyh
    Options
    salmon

sardines with hot spicy mustard

EEEWWW:sick:
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Sardines are supposed to be one of those top nutritonal powerhouse foods.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Here's a cool chart I found showing levels of omega 3 in seafood, as well as mercury levels. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3013797 I don't care for cod or halibut (too fishy for me), even though they're the next highest after salmon. Tilapia, which is my favorite, isn't listed here. It's a nice, light tasting, white meat fish, and the omega 3 levels are a little lower than cod. Hope this helps! :smile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Sardines are supposed to be one of those top nutritonal powerhouse foods.

they are
    but I need to slather hot spicy mustard on em to be able to wolf em down
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Won't eat salmon or sardines ..... any others?

thanks jljohnson i am checking out the list.
  • akamaki
    akamaki Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    But salmon is so delicious! XD;

I used to hate all fish when I was younger. (My parents never eat seafood so I never got used to the flavor and texture.) Then, when my friend's japanese mother made food for us once that included salmon, I tried it again.... I was reluctant to eat it, but I did for politeness sake. I didn't like it much.
    But the years went on and I went to Japan for two weeks. My host mother prepared a flounder in a light, sweet soy sauce. IT WAS DELICIOUS. Ever since that day I could eat any fish and now Salmon is my favorite ever!

Maybe you could just introduce yourself to different kinds of fish slowly and you might accept the flavor of the stronger fishes? Well, I can vouch for that method anyway. XD;

Good luck!
  • cardigirl
    Options
    I like scallops and oysters, although they do have higher amounts of cholesterol. And I didn't like salmon much either, for a long time, but I love it now, broiled, baked, and grilled. Yummy. I usually get salmon in a fillet to cook, rather than the salmon steaks.
  • e11xoxo
    e11xoxo Posts: 86
    Options
    I get parmesan tilapia fillets. I also take 2 omega 3 pills in the mornings and have always liked shrimp and crab.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I like scallops and oysters, although they do have higher amounts of cholesterol. And I didn't like salmon much either, for a long time, but I love it now, broiled, baked, and grilled. Yummy. I usually get salmon in a fillet to cook, rather than the salmon steaks.

I've tried it several times - maybe I need to try again.
  • cardigirl
    Options
    Well, with salmon, as with all fish, make sure it's as fresh as you can possibly buy it. I've bought salmon that is farm raised, and salmon that is wild caught, and sometimes I get no fishy taste, and other times I do.

I don't know why some of it can be stronger flavored. I mean, I haven't figured out when that is going to happen. I always buy it the day I'm going to cook it too, which can be a bit of a bother, but I won't keep fish for more than a day.

I also marinate the salmon in a lemon pepper marinade and that seems to help.
  • kel9680
    kel9680 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I know this isnt fish and may not be an answer, but my mom bought some natural peanut butter last week that has flax seed in it, so it has the protein and omega 3. I will try to find the name of it.

edit: k i found it, its called naturally more, they have a website, its www.naturallymore.com its pretty good, tastes like peanut butter, but without all the crap, and i'm pretty picky about my peanut butter.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I know this isnt fish and may not be an answer, but my mom bought some natural peanut butter last week that has flax seed in it, so it has the protein and omega 3. I will try to find the name of it.

I am glad you know it is not fish

I am getting worried about some people here
  • chrissyh
    Options

I like peanut butter way better than fish!
  • kel9680
    Options

I am glad you know it is not fish

I am getting worried about some people here

haha! (what i ment was that i wasnt actually answering the question about a type of fish, but it may be a different solution)

is that better?
  • kel9680
    Options

I like peanut butter way better than fish!

me too! i edited my post with the name of it
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I liked you answer better anyway since it was peanut butter and not fish - you gotta get the name and where she got it for me!