Traveling

Options
I need help trying to eat well while on travel for work. This is not a vacation but I will be out to dinner every night. There is no frig in the room and there are not a ton of food options. I am so worried i will get home and have gain back 5 pounds.

Replies

• CarleaB
    Options
    I am currently getting ready to travel with my choir for ten days. Not only will I not be able to control my eating options but we are usually surrounded by very well intentioned individuals who push carb-filled deliciousness at us college kids every waking minute. One trick I've learned = portion control. Eat slowly and it gives your body time to react to every bite of food. You'll feel fuller sooner and rarely become uncomfortably stuffed. Also, instead of cramming that whole 650 cal burger and feeling sick, you'll have half, feel content, and be able to eat a little later.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It does take a bit of planning and restraint to eat we when you're travelling for work.
    My best tips:
    - go to a supermarket when you arrive and pick up healthy breakfast items - cereal and long life milk or go for walk in teh morning and get yoghurt if you don't have a fridge. This way you can avoid the breakfast buffet. Or, if you've already paid for the brekky - decide ahead of time what you are going to have, and just have one course each day. I usually have bacon and poached eggs on toast one day, fruit and yoghurt and muesli another... maybe pancakes and fruit another day. Just account for the cals and it works out OK.
    - try to pick a healthier option for lunch if you can - salad sandwich is my standby, no mayo if you can.
    - dinner is tricky when you're eating out - but see if you can choose something as "plain" as possible. Go for grilled fish or chicken breast or steak, ask for salad or steamed veggies instead of chips/fries, sauce on the side, pass on the bread. I usually avoid curries and casseroles and pies because it's much harder to know what the hell you are eating - whereas its simpler to log grilled fish and salad.

Try to fit in a walk or go to the gym before you start work - even if it means getting up a bit earlier, I find it worthwhile to give me a bit of a boost to start the day. Especially if I'm going to be in meetings inside all day, getting out and getting some fresh air and sunshine in the morning makes a real difference.