To eat fruit or not that is the question?!?!

Options
I have been told to eat more fresh fruit and veggies in my diet. I've been having a banana every morning and an apple at night instead of the granola bar I was eating. Now I look at my sugar and because of the fruits it s really high....Am I not supposed to eat the fruit? Is this going to cause me to gain or just maintain my weight? Someboedy please give me some input!!!!
Thanks

Replies

• jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Eat the fruit, ignore the big red number next to sugar.

I stopped tracking sugar. My diary tracks protein, fat, carbs, and fiber.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Eat your fruit. It's good for you. I never even look at my sugar intake. I'm sure it's really high. Most important thing in dieting is to burn more than you eat.

Second most important thing would be to eat enough protein and fat. Next would be weight lifting, then making sure you get all your vitamins and stuff, and I think that's it.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Sugars from fruits are fine. They are packaged with plenty of fiber and enter the bloodstream much slower than the equivalent amount of refined sugar from processed food. Eat your fruit, it's packed with other nutrients that are more than good for you.
  • macylane4
    Options
    That is what i was doing as well, and people said to watch my sugar...I thought for sure an apple over a processed granola bar would be the right choice?!?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    "Weight" wise it is about calories. This will not hinder your weight loss by going over on sugar. It's not refined sugar anyway... Unless you have issues with yeast I'd say keep eating fruit. ;) besides, it's delicious.

Calories in vs. calories out. You could eat brownies or big macs everyday and still lose weight if you burn more than you consume calorie wise.
  • macylane4
    Options
    I had a four pound weight gain 2 weeks ago, and didn't change anything in my diet...it freaked me out so I thought I should have more fresh unprocessed foods. I always try to get all of my protein and fiber in, and only a few carbs! I do weight lifting to build lean muscle, and do cardio 3 times per week
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with eating sugar. it causes no harm in a healthy person. (it does NOT cause diabetes).

the only thing about added sugars (foods that have sugar added to them) is typically those types of foods are high in calories with little nutritional value. the only other thing about sugar is has been linked to causing dental caries.

fruit is good for you..it provides fiber and tons of other nutrients/vitamins.

people can argue about fructose, glucose, galactose all they want..studies are inconclusive..and the DRI has set no upper intake limits for sugar...
  • macylane4
    Options
    "Weight" wise it is about calories. This will not hinder your weight loss by going over on sugar. It's not refined sugar anyway... Unless you have issues with yeast I'd say keep eating fruit. ;) besides, it's delicious.

Calories in vs. calories out. You could eat brownies or big macs everyday and still lose weight if you burn more than you consume calorie wise.

Yeah but I'm too lazy...I would rather eat healthier and not have to have a 2000 cal burn everyday!! :smile:
  • macylane4
    Options
    WOW guys thanks for the help! I'm going to go have my apple now!!!! MMMmmmm
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Exactly! So eat your fruits and veggies to your hearts content! (calories allowed anyway)

Best of luck! :)

P.s. MFP's goal for sugar is rather low. I go over 2x -3x everyday and have no problems losing.

Yeah but I'm too lazy...I would rather eat healthier and not have to have a 2000 cal burn everyday!! :smile:
  • TrueJazzFan
    Options
    I was told grapefruit increases metabolism...and if you are not eating alot of processed sugars they actually are sweet :)
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I completely ignore my sugar. I don't even have it on my dropdown of things to watch. I eat a lot of fruits/veggies, so I don't care if I'm over (and I am. I can see it on the iPod app). It doesn't bother me one bit. Eat the fruit. Totally different than dumping refined table sugar on cheerios. ;)

I was told grapefruit increases metabolism...and if you are not eating alot of processed sugars they actually are sweet :)

Especially the FL reds! YUMMY!

I stopped tracking sugar. My diary tracks protein, fat, carbs, and fiber.

Me too! And sodium.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I never tracked my sugar. I'm mostly interested in my total calories, protein, fiber and fat (have a hard time getting enough fat some days).

I stopped eating citrus, but that's the only fruit I stopped eating. the exception is that I add lemon to my water. :)
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Definitely, eat the fruit!

The sugars will help to keep away cravings too.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I read on here that bananas can kill you . . .

seriously, eat your fruit, AND your veggies.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You're quite right - an apple is a better choice than a processed granola bar. I don't get bothered by the sugar in fruit because it comes packaged with fibre, vitamins and a bunch of other goodies.
    Eat and enjoy - but remember that moderation needs to apply as well.
    Australian healthy eating guidelines recommend 2 fuit + 5 veg every day which seems sensible to me.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating citrus, but that's the only fruit I stopped eating. the exception is that I add lemon to my water. :)

Is there a specific reason you stopped eating citrus, or do you just not like it? :) Just curious, I think I'd die without oranges and grapefruits!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options

I think I'd die without oranges and grapefruits!

Ditto!!! But I'm a Floridian. I think that may be part of it....
  • SteveHunt113
    Options

Is there a specific reason you stopped eating citrus, or do you just not like it? :) Just curious, I think I'd die without oranges and grapefruits!
    I stopped back before I joined MFP, and it was to decrease the amount of sugar I take in. My doctor advised limiting the amount of OJ I drink to help combat high triglycerides. I go in tomorrow for more blood work and well see what the numbers show. If there is no improvement, I'm back to eating oranges and tangerines and mandarins and....

:happy:
  • SteveHunt113
    Options
    I read on here that bananas can kill you . . .

seriously, eat your fruit, AND your veggies.
    Hmm, the only thing I've heard about bananas is to keep them in moderation ... but only because of the sugar content. I NEED my bananas! They are my breakfast and are what get me through my gym workout each morning. I was bad today and had 2 of them! :blushing: