shin splints

Options
kbop
kbop Posts: 21 Member
I've been upping the running lately and my shin splints are acting up. I've got new shoes and know to ice them...but any more tips?

Thanks!

Replies

• kbop
    Options
    I've been upping the running lately and my shin splints are acting up. I've got new shoes and know to ice them...but any more tips?

Thanks!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    ICE, ICE, ICE, and more ICE!! Pack a Ziploc with crushed ice and use saran wrap to attach it to your shins. That way you can walk around and stuff while icing. You will feel sooo much better.
  • Lowenna1
    Lowenna1 Posts: 22
    Options
    Ice is good. From my experience, if you can bear to give your shins a REALLY hard massage after running this helps too. Really try to move the muscle if you can. Also, you can strengthen the muscles by walking around on your heels whenever you can (although I advise doing this only when you are at home as you do look a bit silly otherwise!).
    They'll probably stop hurting soon anyway, as soon as the muscles are strong enough.
  • Thin4payton
    Thin4payton Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I want to start running, but everytime I do, I get shin splints so bad I can hardly walk. Is there any way to prevnet them?? Thanks!!
  • kbop
    Options
    *bump*
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Wrap your leg as mentioned above. Even if you don't use ice, keep it wrapped.