Rant time

Options

Replies

• Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    Go see your doc and get checked up as others have said. If everything else you are doing is being done properly, and nothing is happening then go see if there are any medical reasons for it.
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Your diary is private, but it does show your progress ticker, which states you have lost 2 pounds, rather than "nothing". That's progress!

What activity level did you set when getting your daily target? Perhaps you over-estimated your base activity level?

Yea, that ticker is a lie. I started Jan 15 at 126 lbs, lost 1.5 lbs the first week and gained back about 2 the following weeks (which also coincides with when I started weight training), so my net loss is a big fat 0. Or more accurately, -0.5. I've just been too ashamed to change it back :(

Let me see if I can fix my privacy setting... it really should be visible to you guys..
  • femmi1120
    Options
    As for my diary, it should be public to all MFP members. Can you guys not see it?

No, I have checked just now and your dairy is not public.

I will be glad to take a look and make recommendations

Fixed it. Turns out it was my profile that was public, I thought the 2 were together. Diary is now public too though, feel free to take a look.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I can see your diary now.
    I will review and let you know my opinion in a few mins
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    Hmmm i edited my above post because I thought I may have read your ticker wrong

You started at a weight of 126lbs and you want to get down to under 100?

How tall are you?

It is already harder for those who have less weight to lose and its even harder for those who want to go for a weight too low for their body. Maybe your body likes where it is?

EDIT - scrolled back and saw your height is 4'11". Thats a healthy weight as it is.

Going by your diary you arent eating enough at all. The week before looks like this in terms of NET calories

Mon -382
    Tue - 565
    Wed - 936
    Thurs - 118
    Fri - -1 (yes thats minus 1)
    Sat - 852
    Sun - 964

As you are already at a low weight, you really need to be eating more than that to start being able to make changes to your body.
  • 41degsouth
    Options
    You said you've "stuck to your calorie goal" but looking at your diary you must think "stuck to" means to go UNDER. Last Friday, for instance, you ate only about 850 calories, coming in over 1000 net calories under your goal due to exercise, even with having set a very low (1000 calorie) goal. You are not eating enough. There are repeat examples of people lamenting that they allowed themselves to get into this situation. You are supposed to be creating a moderate calorie deficit and gradually loosing weight while you learn a new way to eat, whereas you appear to be declaring all-out war on your body! Not sure of all the mechanisms by which the body preserves weight when under duress, but it does. More importantly though, this kind of extreme approach doesn't provide much in the way of useful learning about how to manage when you're not at war with yourself.

Remember, your target already includes a deficit that will lead to weight loss over time. You don't need to undercut it.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I've looked at your diary and in my humble opinion you are not eating enough. This is a common problem for many people including myself. It wasn't until I started eating more that I started to lose weight.

There are others on this site that are much more knowledgable than I am about the macros and hopefully they will jump in and give you some advice but one thing I did notice is that your protein is quite low for someone who is working out as much as you.

Keep logging, keep moving, and eat a little more and you will see the scale start to move down. :flowerforyou:
  • 41degsouth
    Options
    Based on your height and weight, it would take about 1,650 calories to maintain your current weight, if you were only moderately active (just moving around during the day) and did not do any additional exercise. I suggest you go back to a 1,200 calorie net goal, substantially reduce the exercise you're doing to be more moderate, eat back all your exercise calories so that you meet your net goal, and see what happens over the next two to four weeks. You'll find it much easier than what you've been doing (though you may find it hard to bring yourself to eat properly, I suspect) but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • nikkibyrdRN
    nikkibyrdRN Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You said you've "stuck to your calorie goal" but looking at your diary you must think "stuck to" means to go UNDER. Last Friday, for instance, you ate only about 850 calories, coming in over 1000 net calories under your goal due to exercise, even with having set a very low (1000 calorie) goal. You are not eating enough. There are repeat examples of people lamenting that they allowed themselves to get into this situation. You are supposed to be creating a moderate calorie deficit and gradually loosing weight while you learn a new way to eat, whereas you appear to be declaring all-out war on your body! Not sure of all the mechanisms by which the body preserves weight when under duress, but it does. More importantly though, this kind of extreme approach doesn't provide much in the way of useful learning about how to manage when you're not at war with yourself.

Remember, your target already includes a deficit that will lead to weight loss over time. You don't need to undercut it.
    ^^^ This!!!
  • usafcbcsgrl
    usafcbcsgrl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Some people are quicker to gain muscle and slower to lose fat. If this is the case the muscle you are gaining will weigh more than the fat that you are losing, and if you are losing the fat slowly that would actually make your clothing tighter and not show much of a decrease in your weight.

Don't give up yet, hang in there.:wink:
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hmmm i edited my above post because I thought I may have read your ticker wrong

You started at a weight of 126lbs and you want to get down to under 100?

How tall are you?

It is already harder for those who have less weight to lose and its even harder for those who want to go for a weight too low for their body. Maybe your body likes where it is?

EDIT - scrolled back and saw your height is 4'11". Thats a healthy weight as it is.

Going by your diary you arent eating enough at all. The week before looks like this in terms of NET calories

Mon -382
    Tue - 565
    Wed - 936
    Thurs - 118
    Fri - -1 (yes thats minus 1)
    Sat - 852
    Sun - 964

As you are already at a low weight, you really need to be eating more than that to start being able to make changes to your body.

THIS!!!

Burning 900 calories in a workout and then barely eating that over the course of the day (as an example) is setting yourself up for disaster. You're not fueling your body enough, and it's hanging on to every last bit that it can.

You'll hear it on MFP a lot: you've got to eat more to burn/lose more!
  • dragonflybird
    Options
    You don't consume enough, at all.
  • p00key
    p00key Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your definitely not eating enough , your body thinks its starving itself so is storing everything . Work out your Basal Metabolic rate , something like this will work http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ . That works out the calories your body needs just doing nothing . then add more on top so that it can then burn something and you will have some energy .

For example mine is 1332 , so I eat at least that per day. I then add another 300 , so I can lose weight . If I do any exercise i also add that - but even with hr monitor , its not entirely accurate so I tend to knock a couple of 100 calories off. Seems to work for me . HTH
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have looked at your diary, and this is what I see:

1) The percentages of fat, protein, carbs seem reasonable. No red flag there

2) When I calculated your BMR using MFP, with 22yrs 128 lbs and 4' 11", it came out to 1246 calories per day
    That tells me that definitively you should not be eating less than 1200 calories per day, since you exercise.
    So instead of your current goal of 1000 calories, I would set it to at least 1200.
    What does the "automatic" mode of MFP recommend you?

3) Once you have a reasonable calorie per day target, I would not eat less than 200 cals below that target.
    And if you are closely monitoring your exercise calories, do eat at least half of those calories.

4) Water:
    You are not logging water. Do you drink water?
    Try drinking at least 6 glasses per day; I can't state this for sure, but I have noticed it has helped ME to reduce weight.
    Theories abound and there is plenty of controversy.
    But try it ! It will not hurt you to drink 6 to 8 per day !

5) Nutrition:
    I would suggest you add more servings of fruits (bananas, oranges, etc) to substitute for carbs in cakes, etc.
    The calories and carbs in fruits are good for you, with added nutrients and vitamins.
    And it is much simpler to calculate cals in fruits, than for cakes and other processed food.

Good luck and keep at it !
    Just the exercise alone should be good for you, so don't despair, the results will come !
  • femmi1120
    Options
    I know my net's been low the past few days. It's kind of a recent thing though. I started off eating about 1200 net for like the first 5 weeks and saw no progress, so I changed my approach recently.
    It's probably not ideal, but frankly, I'm desperate. I don't know what else to do. I'm seriously afraid to go over 1k net cals at this point.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    1200 is still super low, if you're working out. If you've been doing that for 5 weeks already, your body is probably already in the mindset of hanging on to whatever it can. Keep in mind MFP sets us at 1200 calories assuming we are not doing any exercise, so anything you do burn off, you should be eating back to ensure your NET is at 1200.

This is why some people have taken different approaches, and you'll have to tweak to see what works for you, but I'll stand behind saying eat more to lose more! The best weeks I have losing are when I eat more calories from healthy sources.
  • femmi1120
    Options
    1200 is still super low, if you're working out. If you've been doing that for 5 weeks already, your body is probably already in the mindset of hanging on to whatever it can. Keep in mind MFP sets us at 1200 calories assuming we are not doing any exercise, so anything you do burn off, you should be eating back to ensure your NET is at 1200.

This is why some people have taken different approaches, and you'll have to tweak to see what works for you, but I'll stand behind saying eat more to lose more! The best weeks I have losing are when I eat more calories from healthy sources.

No, it was 1200 net before. So I'd usually eat 1500-2000 depending on how much I worked out.

As for the weight comments, 125 may seem like a low weight, but it IS still overweight for my height. I also have almost 30% body fat, so I definitely have some baggage to lose. Quite a bit actually. I'll post pics soon. And according to MFP, 95 would be a healthy weight for me but it's a tentative goal. If I'm happy at 110 or 115, I'll stop there.
  • femmi1120
    Options
    Pic posted. Now how do I edit the thumbnail so it actually shows my whole body and not just an awkward lower half? -___-
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You dont eat anywhere near enough.... starving yourself WILL NOT WORK... as you have found out over the last 6 weeks. please try and net 1200 cals so you dont do yourself any serious damage.