Flax Seed as a filler...LUV IT!

Options
Just had to share my recent experience with flax seed...

I have always read/heard about the benefits of flax seed, but never wanted to add the extra calories to my meals. I finally bought a box and added a tablespoon, to pretty-much everything I ate yesterday...oatmeal, protein shakes, salad dressing. The amazing thing was the satisfied-feeling I had ALL day, even through dinner...this is DEFINETLY not the norm for me, as I am a hungry girl!

I should add yesterday was a typical day for me, I burned about 900 cals at the gym, and ate "my" regular foods.

YAY!!!, I am eating more today!...at about 80-100 cals, no biggie!

Please share your experience with flax seed...I hope EVERYONE tries it!

Replies

• erica9699
    erica9699 Posts: 53
    Options
    Just had to share my recent experience with flax seed...

I have always read/heard about the benefits of flax seed, but never wanted to add the extra calories to my meals. I finally bought a box and added a tablespoon, to pretty-much everything I ate yesterday...oatmeal, protein shakes, salad dressing. The amazing thing was the satisfied-feeling I had ALL day, even through dinner...this is DEFINETLY not the norm for me, as I am a hungry girl!

I should add yesterday was a typical day for me, I burned about 900 cals at the gym, and ate "my" regular foods.

YAY!!!, I am eating more today!...at about 80-100 cals, no biggie!

Please share your experience with flax seed...I hope EVERYONE tries it!
  • Jelybe
    Jelybe Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great idea - thanks! I will try it!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Do you crush them or leave them whole?
  • erica9699
    Options
    I bought milled flax seed...I think it's better to crush yourself, but that was the only option Wal-Mart had.
    Two servings this morning w/ breakfast and snack and feeling FULL!!!...i'm hooked!
  • KrisF
    KrisF Posts: 1
    Options
    In what dept. in Wal Mart do you find flax seed?
    How much does it cost?
  • erica9699
    Options
    I found it near the baking products, flour and such...brown box...can't recall the brand right now, sorry. It wasn't more than $3-4
    Hope you try it!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    In what dept. in Wal Mart do you find flax seed?
    How much does it cost?

Baking goods aisle, near the flour. It's less than $2 a box for the Hodgson Mill brand.

Yes, I love ground flax!! I add it to my oatmeal, yogurt, smoothies, etc.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Be careful if you're male. Flax seed has been linked to increased risk of prostate cancer.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Be careful if you're male. Flax seed has been linked to increased risk of prostate cancer.

Hmm... I don't know about the validity of that. Mayo Clinic is the only resource I can find that states a possible link of increased prostate cancer with large doses of flaxseed in a man's diet. The American Cancer Society, WebMD and a handful of science based sites all show a link between flaxseed slowing the growth of prostate cancer and speeding the death of prostate tumor cells.

It seems there is not enough adequate research either way, although there is much more out there in favor of flaxseed as a preventative measure rather than a possible cause.