rest day after weights?

Options
Hey all you fitness gurus I have a question...... I just got a home workout machine. I have the weights at 10 lbs and am wondering if it is ok to workout everyday or do I need to have a rest day in between so my muscles can "heal"? Is a resting day only necessary for serious (heavy) weight lifting? Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    honestly..just doing 10 lbs is not enough to stimulate muscle growth (depending on what type of exercise you do)...you probably can lift pretty heavy...many women think they cant lift that heavy, so dont give themselves a chance.

not lifting heavy is akin to just increasing muscle endurance...meaning you can do lots of reps. almost the same thing as running everyday..

i personally dont subscribe to the whole, need to rest the muscle thing..i personally only see growth when i do the same muscle groups several times a week. i do a split.. biceps and chest one day, legs the next, and the next tris and back, and either legs or shoulders or back to bis and chest...

so by doing biceps one day and my back the next i encorporate the same muscle groups... i have to use my biceps to do a lat pull down..even doing rows uses chest and bicep muscles. but everyone is different and this is what i found works for me to see real muscle growth.

ps..i workout almost everyday..lifting and cardio every day. lift for 45-60 mins and 30 mins of cardio. i do take a day or two off just for the heck of it..but i usually 'rest' for a week or so every few months.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If you're really pushing yourself in the workouts then I feel you do need to rest it the next day. That's not to say you can't have a workout at all everyday (although I'd advise at least 1 rest day a week) you just do a different body part.

For example, if you did arms on a Monday, then do something different on Tuesday, and then you can go back and do arms again most likely the day after :)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    When dieting, I'd always advise a strategy of 2 days on (training) and one day off (rest). TBH tho, you'll know when over trained - you'll feel tired, lethargic, sometimes nauseous and over tired.