using too many cals on snacks!!!!

Options
I am being good (kind of!) and choosing low cal snack options, but my problem is i'm having too many and not leaving me enough for dinner!!! how can i change my mindset to not want to snack constantly??? Also not helping with being at home with a poorly little boy and just keep finding myself heading to the "naughty" cupboard where I keep the kids treats!!! HELP!!!

Cat x

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    stop buying the kids treats..they need to eat healthy too.

it really boils down to will power. if you feel you need to snack..perhaps try some shelled sunflower seeds. I love those and used them a lot when i quit smoking. i find constanly snacking is usually eating out of boredom. try getting out more, in the yard, garden, find a hobby..
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    I agree, stop buying kids treats!! I had too otherwise I would eat them all (but tha'ts because I have little will power, which I'm working on). Also drinking lots of water or tea helps with staving off snacks. You can also trying chewing gum.
  • Catplumb
    Catplumb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i drink tons of tea and coffee - have changed to black coffee and only a splash of milk in my tea to save cals, and i have reduced the amount of cereal i have for breakfast too, so i know the will is there, it just gets easily distracted!!!
  • ava33
    ava33 Posts: 26
    Options
    How about logging your dinner earlier in the day? Then you'll know how many calories you have for snacks. Helps me to keep things under control and if I do want a snack or two but stay within my calories I don't feel bad about it...
  • LishaCole
    Options
    I find that my crazy snacking cravings are actually because I need water, its actually a pretty common trend. So when I feel the snacking urge I go drink a glass of water to ensure I am not mixing up my signals. Haha.
  • christinerush
    Options
    Hi Cat! I would tell you to buy some protein powder and have oats for breakfast and add a scoop of water with in in place of milk and it will keep you fuller for longer! If you do get hungry before lunch, have a yoghurt and add half a scoop of protein powder into that and it is filling too! I also have Body Lite bites and they only have about 10 calories a piece and are very dense and filling, also lots of protein in them! They taste like chocolate, well sort of!
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Dont buy the kids as many snacks. I only get my daughter rice cakes and flapjacks which I hate so I know I wont have any. I agree with pitting dinner in first so you know how much you have left for snacks. Also I found that having dinner with my daughter at 5pm left me starving once she's in bed at 7.30 and I found myself snacking. So I got rid of the snacks and invested in about a thousand bananas. I'll have a banana and a yoghurt and if I'm feeling extra hungry will even have a hot chocolate (with skimmed milk) and that seems to fill the hole.
  • g_mapi
    g_mapi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    keeping busy with my little one over the weekend like doing arts and craft definately keeps my mind off snacking. and also only having healthy children snacks like dried fruit and rice crackers for her. so even if i'm tempted that is all there is. also as the previous poster said when i drinkingmy water i am less incline to snack.
  • RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    How about logging your dinner earlier in the day? Then you'll know how many calories you have for snacks. Helps me to keep things under control and if I do want a snack or two but stay within my calories I don't feel bad about it...

^^
    this exactly !
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    i have reduced the amount of cereal i have for breakfast too, so i know the will is there, it just gets easily distracted!!!
    This might be part of your problem - start by having bigger meals. You might want to change what you eat too. Lots of people find they get less hungry if they add a bit of protein - if I have cereal I can't get buy without a mid-morning snack, but if I have an omelette, porridge or a bacon sandwich I'm fine.

As others have said, also pre-plan your main meals, snack up until you reach your calorie limit if you need to then stop!