Fight the Muffin Top!

Options
Hi everyone,

Like many women, I am suffering from the so called muffin-top. Even when I was a lot skinnier, I still had too much fat on my hips.
Can anyone recommend a workout to get rid - or at least reduce - that effect?
I am currently working on my legs, abs and arms ... but could not find anything for the hips!

Cheers :)

Replies

• missbaker89
    Options
    i have the same problem :ohwell: so if u get any tips can u pass them on please?
  • anmei2411
    Options
    Tips ... anyone?
  • anmei2411
    Options
    *bump*
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    There is no workout to reduce the muffin top. Sorry.

You can follow mfp to lose weight. Your body will lose fat from wherever your genetics says it will.

You can lift weights to maintain muscle mass. Your body will maintain/build muscle wherever your genetics says it will.

That's it.
  • anmei2411
    Options
    Thanks for the answer!

Shame though ... I gave a pretty female figure so no matter how skinny I get, I'll always have boobs (good!), butt (good) and some fat on the hips (not so good) :angry:
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You are who you are and you are lovely. I have never had a muffin top, nor have I had any boobs. One husband, three children, five countries, life is good. Never let anyone else's ideas about what you should look like influence your opinion about yourself.
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You are who you are and you are lovely. I have never had a muffin top, nor have I had any boobs. One husband, three children, five countries, life is good. Never let anyone else's ideas about what you should look like influence your opinion about yourself.

Awesome!
  • zipperhead76
    zipperhead76 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't have any specific exercises, but as you lose weight, work or obliques(the muscles on the side of your stomach). That should help get rid of the excess on the sides. :) Hope this helps.
  • SarahR1984
    Options
    ...bigger pants size? If your pants aren't so tight you won't spill over as much, right? And just all over weight loss to trim down the fat. Mine went away when I lost 35lbs:)
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    As much as people hate me when I say this, WELL fitting pants will not give you a muffin top (at ANY size). Most low-rise pants are NOT well fitting because they need the pressure against your hips to keep them from sliding down.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can not "spot reduce" Doing cardio and burning calories will help you lose weight from all over. Once you get your weight down to your ideal BF % you can concentrate on toning specific areas, but unless you lose the fat 1st it's not going to make much of a difference.
  • anmei2411
    Options

Awesome!

Awwww ... thank you :)

And thank you zipperhead - maybe I can reduce it a bit!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    You just need to follow the basic bodybuilding formula that is so simple no one wants to believe it.

Build muscle.
    Lose fat.

Alternate between the two until you're happy.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    There's no way to spot reduce, but strength training with heavy weights makes amazing changes happen. http://www.isthisbliss.com/why-you-yes-you-should-strength-train/
  • amayarnell
    amayarnell Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have always had the same problem. Recently, I started Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack abs and i can tell a HUGE difference in my 'muffin top'. I had these lounge pants where it used to hang over, and now, its almost non existent. I highly recommend this workout dvd! i have not only noticed my sides, but my abs as well. Jillian likes to incorporate cardio in her workouts as well as full body moves. Hope this helps! Best of luck
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce but u can spot tone... I have rid myself of the muffin top...exercises that work the entire stomach area... alot of oblique (?) work.....
  • daniellek10
    daniellek10 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Zumba? I have heard alot of ppl say they lost in that area doing that?!!
  • Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    ...bigger pants size? If your pants aren't so tight you won't spill over as much, right? And just all over weight loss to trim down the fat. Mine went away when I lost 35lbs:)

See, that won't exactly work for everyone. I wear a 2/4 pants. If I wear any bigger they would fall off and I'd be "pants on the ground"... LOL. I have lots of belly fat, but no hips or rather anything where my pants sit. A lot of my size 4s are actually starting to be really baggy around the butt and legs - because this is where I lose first, belly is where I lose last
  • Srdking
    Srdking Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you want the fat gone work your obliques. There is some ab workouts on DVD that do work the obliques. Laying down Side crunches, side squat twist are some of my favorites. I also do a ton of obliques planks, and all these are working for me. Unless I get off my butt and do cardio I won't see results in my obliques. I have to finish burning off the rest of the fat. So with my cardio I do a number of obliques exercises, so when the fat is finally off I will be toned. If I just did diet alone I would still have some fat there, even at my goal weight. So the key in my opinion is plenty of cardio and plenty of obliques exercises.
  • Blue_Moon92
    Options
    carido exercises are best and situps but where you reach to the sides like the bike sit ups where you bring your knees to your chest as if cycling and you put your opposite elbow to your knee on each one.

hope that makes sense im sure you know what i mean its a pretty common ab exercise.
    x