lizzue
lizzue Posts: 276 Member
Anyone got any recipes?

Thanks x

Replies

• lookslikeyoda
    lookslikeyoda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I used to make it in a South African curry with sweet potato but I can't eat coconut milk anymore, I can't remember the exact recipe as I just make everything off the top of my head but its basically sweet potato, butternut squash, onion, coconut milk and any curry paste that you like, a few other spices and add some spinach towards the end.
  • tubbybroccoli
    Options
    This one is delicious, have made it several times.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2888/butternut-squash-casserole-

Hope that helps.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I just roast it with onions and garlic :)
  • blustar8
    Options
    Makes the best soup, just plain or with something else. Try this one, its yummy
    http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Butternut-Pumpkin-and-Sweetcorn-Soup-L4520.html
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    This isn't very exciting but, I like to just roast it.
    Cut in half, de-seed, drizzle with olive oil, bit of butter, salt, pepper and some thyme. 45-50 mins, Yummy!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Peel and chop into large cubes. Do the same with a couple of sweet potaotes, maybe a carrot or parsnip or 2.

Toss in a little oil, and tuck in some herbs - rosemary and thyme are good.

Roast in the oven for about 45 mins. Add a few cubes of haloumi cheese about 20 mins before the end of cooking time.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I just cut mine in half and bake it, sometimes with a little cinnamon. If you're an omnivore, a little butter with the cinnamon is good, too...I guess you could use a vegan substitute if you wanted. I just like taking a spoon to it once it's nice and soft. It also makes an amazing pureed soup.
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    I just cut mine in half and bake it, sometimes with a little cinnamon. If you're an omnivore, a little butter with the cinnamon is good, too...I guess you could use a vegan substitute if you wanted. I just like taking a spoon to it once it's nice and soft. It also makes an amazing pureed soup.

EXACTLY!! :drinker:
  • wyattsarah
    Options
    The way I fixed Butternut Squash is, cut onions, salt, pepper, egg, crumble Ritz crackers, mix all together and put in a dish with eheese on top, and then put in oven for about 30 minutes or until done.
  • emmamcc1981
    emmamcc1981 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    cut the squash in half, and again into quarters, get rid of the seeds and roast until squishy - scrape out of skins and mix with grated coconut and boiled rice.

peel and chop and deseed a squash, peel and shop a sweet potato - steam until squishy and then blend with some of the steaming liquid to make soup.

i normally just chop it into chunks and add it to curries and stews i'm cooking in the slow cooker. try sweet potato, squash, chickpea and spinach with a curry sauce over the top and serve with naan bread and poppadoms. i promise, curry without meat is delicious!
  • VictoriaAStone
    Options
    THIS IS MY FAV VEG EVER!!! I actually steam it and use it as a substitute to potato... so anything you do to a potato do with a butternut squash, steam, mash, roast
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash with pasta: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-pasta-with-butternut-sq-64966

Very yummy, use whole wheat pasta, and walnuts work nicely if you want a sub for the pine nuts (or nix the nuts alltogether, it's still good). You don't really have to fry the sage leaves, either.
  • ClintTheys
    Options
    I just cut, boil and mash with little butter/salt as a side with baked porkchop or roast beef etc...