Does fiber make you gassy?

Options
Meghan0129
Meghan0129 Posts: 1,308 Member
I have started eating fiber one products and I feel like I am going to explode! Has anyone else experienced this and if so HOW DO YOU MAKE IT GO AWAY! Does anyone know if there is there a way to eat a high fiber diet without the terrible gassy side effects?

Replies

• Meghan0129
    Options
    I have started eating fiber one products and I feel like I am going to explode! Has anyone else experienced this and if so HOW DO YOU MAKE IT GO AWAY! Does anyone know if there is there a way to eat a high fiber diet without the terrible gassy side effects?
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes!:noway: I use to eat the caramel delight cereal until,well you know...lol. There is no way that I know to make it go away....just have to deal with it, or you could eat other products to give you fiber.
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat. If I ate an entire bar, it gave me the WORST belly ache! I tried to eat a half bar in the morning and a half bar in the afternoon. It really helped. I have heard that it just takes time for your body to adjust to all that fiber and to take it slow. Eventually you will be able to eat a whole bar with no stomach problems. hth's
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    You can get a little tablet of payaya enzyme that works great!! I eat 4 or 5 every day...it's like candy. A couple after most meals will help with that digestion. You can get it at most health food stores, probably even Wal-mart or Target too!

Hope it helps!!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yup!! lol. Time - when you increase your fiber intake you should do it slowly so your body can adjust. Maybe back off a little then increase slowly. And drink lots of water. Most of the time if you give it time, the gassiness well go away. Not all the time though! Sometimes, depending on what is in the food, the gassiness never goes away. Then you either have to deal or quit eating that particular food! Good luck :drinker:
  • becbec71
    becbec71 Posts: 136
    Options
    When I eat the multigarin wasa's I get terrible gas for hours, the bloating is the worst.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    nothing but stopping helped me. I tried gas pills(no help). I loved the fiber one products, but I just had to give them up, before my family kicked me out of the house and stores and restaurants refused to serve me. It was soooo embarrassing , someone suggested the probiotics, but I never got around to trying them. you might give it a try.
  • Meghan0129
    Options
    ok, so the 2 bowls of the AMAZING fiber one caramel cereal I ate last night is most likely the culprit.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    ok, so the 2 bowls of the AMAZING fiber one caramel cereal I ate last night is most likely the culprit.
    OHHHHH MY GOSH..... 2 BOWLS??? YOU MUST BE PAYING DEARLY FOR THAT!!!!!!: lol... laugh:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    WATER!!!!!!!!!

Add more water to your diet, along with the fiber, and that should ease the problem some.
  • dlhenry511
    Options
    We call fiber one bars fart bars for obvious reasons!
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    but that caramel cereal is sooooooooooooooooooooo good! LOL :laugh: :blushing:
  • Meghan0129
    Options
    Oh, yes it is SOOOO good. That's why I had 2 bowls. I don't think I will have anymore though, I dont now how I am going to workout tonight. I'm struggling to sit in my chair...ugh.
  • Meghan0129
    Options
    There should be warning on the box... "Beware. If you eat too much fiber, you wont make new friends."
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes it is SOOOO good. That's why I had 2 bowls. I don't think I will have anymore though, I dont now how I am going to workout tonight. I'm struggling to sit in my chair...ugh.

Any Fiber One products are BAD for me. Even the plain Fiber One cereal. I used to add it to my oatmeal until I finally figured out that it was causing the pain/ bloating.

Natural fiber (found in fruits, veggies, whole grains) doesn't bother me. It's the added fibers like in Fiber One, All bran, etc that I can't eat!!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    BEANO!!!! It's our families BEST FRIEND! Seriously, if anyone finds a place where I can buy it by the case... let me know.
    We have 2 dogs that absolutely, positively MUST have Beano with every meal... seriously - have you ever HEARD a dog fart? It's bad!
    When we changed the way we were eating - we started taking them too! If we didn't - there would be NO air freshener that would help!
  • Meghan0129
    Options
    That is so funny.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    We call fiber one bars fart bars for obvious reasons!

:laugh: we call them the same thing!
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Really?? I found the opposite... much more regular, much less gassy since I started eating it. Though I'm eating my Fibre One with yogurt, and I'm told that helps.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    When I first started eating the bars they made me a little gassy....but now that I've been eating them for a while I don't notice it anymore. I guess my body adapted.