MFP Runners 4/23/09... did you run today?

Options
Hi y'all! It's almost Friday! I ran a little over 8 miles this morning. My 7 month old decided to get up for the day at 4:30 this morning and skipped his morning nap, so by the time we made it to the gym, I was in dire need of a good run. It was awesome!

Replies

• katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all! It's almost Friday! I ran a little over 8 miles this morning. My 7 month old decided to get up for the day at 4:30 this morning and skipped his morning nap, so by the time we made it to the gym, I was in dire need of a good run. It was awesome!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I did!! 5 miles for me, just a moderate pace except we sprinted the last .5 mile. My friend's Garmin said that we hit a 5:35 pace!! (very short lived! :laugh: )

Then swam 1,000 yds this morning. :wink:

Great job, Katie!!
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    On a tempo run, someone explain to me what a 4 X1600 with 800 jog means. I'm new to training for races and am having a hard time understanding what those numbers mean exactly.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    On a tempo run, someone explain to me what a 4 X1600 with 800 jog means. I'm new to training for races and am having a hard time understanding what those numbers mean exactly.

4 x 1600 would be 4 repeats of 1600m (1 mile). 800 jog (.5 mile) would be your recovery. Do you know what pace you are training for?? Here's the plan that I used for my half marathon, it explains the speedwork and tempo runs.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-9369-0,00.html

Hope that helps!!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I felt like I wrote on the runner's thread today but I guess not! I said before that I was probably playing basketball and no running.

But I didn't get to play basketball. So I ran a hard 1.5 miles, then did stadiums, weight training, then a 1 mile interval run. Good workout :smile:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I'm about to go out right now, I got my new ipod case in the mail today yay!!!! Probably do around 6-8, I need to burn off the frozen yogurt I had last night. Although I did a kick *kitten* pilates class today so I hope my muscles aren't too tired. Time will tell!

~Leash :happy:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options

Sure. It means you are going to run 1600 meters (1 mile) at a "comfortably hard" pace. Then, jog 800 meters (1/2 mile) to recover. The "4" means do this 4 times.

Comfortable hard means you can get about 3 words out. I check myself by saying "pace is good". If you can talk more, you're not running fast enough.:wink:

It is recommended that you do these on a track. However, I live in a low traffic neighborhood that happens to have a nice flat 1600 meter stretch. So, I do my workout in my neighborhood. Sure, I look crazy running up and down the street.:laugh:

If you don't have a Garmin, use your car odometer or a site like runningmap.com to measure the distance.

Way to go adding these runs to your training! I noticed an improvement in my overall performance when I added tempo and speed work to my workouts,
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    THANKS!