Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Portion Size Discovery!!!

mbaker1169
mbaker1169 Posts: 65 Member
edited September 18 in Health and Weight Loss
So, only 2 OZ of spaghetti noodles equals one serving????? No wonder I have a Butt! LOL!

Any one else find discoveries since watching intake that are not what you expected?

Replies

• mbaker1169
    So, only 2 OZ of spaghetti noodles equals one serving????? No wonder I have a Butt! LOL!

Any one else find discoveries since watching intake that are not what you expected?
  • bricker06
    bricker06 Posts: 316
    boy oh boy let me tell ya. the biggest discovery for me is that a serving size fills me up:laugh: :laugh:
    i was shocked to see what the seving size for noodles is. im sure i ate 3-4 times the amount. and just the other day i made beef stew, one cup is a serving 240 cals. i thought one cup will never fill me up. last night i made a family favorite, goulosh , the healthier version. one cup was a serving 353 cals yikes but i had some any way. i had eaten fairly light all day and worked out a ton. to my surprize one cup satisfied me. i did have1/2 cup of cottage cheese and 1/2 cup pineapple with it.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Oh my gosh! That is so funny, I just realized that as well as I made my family homeade chicken and noodles last night. I was flabbergasted! (I did eat a little though):grumble:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    I think I was most surprised to see how much 2tbsp of salad dressing was. I don't use nearly that much, so I got to cut some calories from my log! Now, 1tsp of mayo in my tuna? Ha Ha Ha, you must be joking! Try 3 tbsp!

It's sorta fun to actually measure things every once in awhile.
  • ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    This is an excellent post idea.

Juice is the biggest discovery for me: I only drink 1-2 ounces of it now with water added. I can't afford the juice calories.

I have sworn off dressing, I now make my own out of lemon juice and ginger.

I am now full with just one piece of pizza!!!

I love measuring everything or weighing it! I even love preparing food again.

I find that a little bit of chocolate, 1 small piece is statisfying.

:smile:
  • The thing I found the hardest and oddest was that 8 cups of water a day was impossible for me, but 10 cups of soda in a day was the normal!!!

Now I'm so happy to say that I've cut all soda out of my life, except for special occasions or meals out which only happen once in a blue moon!! And I love water now!! I usually have a cup sitting in my girls bedroom so I can drink when I'm in there with them and another cup out in the living room for when I'm out there....
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    2 oz pasta = 1 cup cooked, so it's really not that little for me - though I have between 1 & 2 servings - and I always have more than one slice of pizza :laugh:

the biggest one for me is the prepackaged foods - 1 frozen pizza = 6 servings! Who in their right mind serves 6 people with one pizza. I don't buy too many prepackaged foods for dinner, but I always check the number of servings.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    this is why i eat tofu shirataki noodles 8 oz = 40 calories so i never have to worry about how much i eat . :happy: I can not touch regular pasta it is my weakness and I will devour 800 caloies just in pasta
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Biggest shock was how little food the body needs for fuel, that you can get a whole days veggies in in just one salad and that a banana is two servings of fruit and I could go on and on. No wonder waistlines are growing, we all have a distorted idea of what a portion is!
  • patr
    patr Posts: 19
    this is why i eat tofu shirataki noodles 8 oz = 40 calories so i never have to worry about how much i eat . :happy: I can not touch regular pasta it is my weakness and I will devour 800 caloies just in pasta

That's a new one for me as I have never heard of shirataki noodles, but very interesting. Do they taste similar to ordinary noodles?
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member

That's a new one for me as I have never heard of shirataki noodles, but very interesting. Do they taste similar to ordinary noodles?

No they are made from yam and the texture is very different. They are very tasty, but does not work well with spagetti sauce, they work best in a broth or in soup. Very yummy and fills you up. What the fiber, they are extremely high in fiber and you will get a stomach ache if you don't drink a lot of water.
  • mbaker1169

I have never tried these-- are they yummy?
  • mbaker1169

[/quote

Sorry-- should have read neverbeenskinny post first. :(]
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    I ALWAYS thought a serving was however much I wanted at a time. laugh.
  • I have found that one serving of most items is quite filling; even though I used to eat way more than a serving of most foods--but when it comes to snacks, like potatoe chips (my down fall) I used to eat A LOT more than one serving. Now when I feel the need for chips I purchase one of the small one serving bags of baked chips and seems to be to fill that need for crunchy salty foods.:tongue:
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member

I eat these all the time with spaghetti sauce and

Any sauce that I would eat with regular noodles I would use with these. they have a slightly odd consistency but I would not say bad. maybe a little chewier than regular pasta kind of like I didn't cook it right. the noodles take on the taste of whatever sauce you put on them. if nothing is on them it tastes llike nothing. I have also heard that you must drink lots of water with them i have not had any problems with fiber although I would not feed this to children because of the high fiber count may not do well with little tummys and the fact that it really doesn't have that much nutrional value just intended for the simple fact of filling me up
This discussion has been closed.