% fat, protein and carbs in food diary goal

Options
sallydeb
sallydeb Posts: 65 Member
Sorry if this has been brought up before, I couldn't do a search just in case it had been. Also, I looked through the newbie files for articles on it, but couldn't find (please help if I missed something javascript:add_smiley('smile','topic_body').

I just calculated out the % from my food diary goal and it is 30% fat, ~55% carbs and ~ 15% protein. I'm good with the 30% fat, but this is a real change from what I've been told in the last 10 years. Which is some people do well on 40% carbs and 30% protein (& 30% fat), and others do well on 30% carbs and 40% protein (& 30% fat).

It sure looks like people have great results on this site. However, 55% carbs seems so high and I'm sure there's a good explanation (not to mention, based on the article about the woman living on 700 cal/day sounds a lot like me--lot of protein, not much carbs). Is this 55%-15%-30% balance what works for everyone? Or does the food diary goals change based on what the person wants to achieve?

Thanks much!

Replies

• sallydeb
    Options
    Sorry if this has been brought up before, I couldn't do a search just in case it had been. Also, I looked through the newbie files for articles on it, but couldn't find (please help if I missed something javascript:add_smiley('smile','topic_body').

I just calculated out the % from my food diary goal and it is 30% fat, ~55% carbs and ~ 15% protein. I'm good with the 30% fat, but this is a real change from what I've been told in the last 10 years. Which is some people do well on 40% carbs and 30% protein (& 30% fat), and others do well on 30% carbs and 40% protein (& 30% fat).

It sure looks like people have great results on this site. However, 55% carbs seems so high and I'm sure there's a good explanation (not to mention, based on the article about the woman living on 700 cal/day sounds a lot like me--lot of protein, not much carbs). Is this 55%-15%-30% balance what works for everyone? Or does the food diary goals change based on what the person wants to achieve?

Thanks much!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Customize your goals. If 40/30/30 works for you, then go for it. The default settings is the "traditional" diet.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    The default settings are not optimal for everyone. You are right to question this balance. Definitely customize your settings if you feel it isn't right for you. I am at 45 carbs, 30 protein and 25 fat... That's the ratio I am most comfortable eating and it has given me pretty good results so far. You can customize as often as you want until you find the balance that is right for you.
  • sallydeb
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! Ghana told me how to customize...I didn't know you could do it by going to Goals, I kept messing around and trying to find a way to do it within the food tab.

This site is really incredible the way you can make the whole thing work for you, I'm so glad I found it!!