please don't feed me.....

Rottiemama
Rottiemama Posts: 66
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
:flowerforyou: Hey everyone, I started out my day with 2 pieces of bananna bread slathered in cream cheese, and most recently a mid morning snack of ...a Snikers bar!! I need some direction. I eat without thought and am hoping by joining this group I become more aware of my eating. Gotta start somewhere right! I will take all the help I can get. I am coming off a 6 month bout with depression. I am coming out of the fog and really look forward to some success. See you on the message boards!

Replies

• :flowerforyou: Hey everyone, I started out my day with 2 pieces of bananna bread slathered in cream cheese, and most recently a mid morning snack of ...a Snikers bar!! I need some direction. I eat without thought and am hoping by joining this group I become more aware of my eating. Gotta start somewhere right! I will take all the help I can get. I am coming off a 6 month bout with depression. I am coming out of the fog and really look forward to some success. See you on the message boards!
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    welcome.....you may want to start the first few days with just logging in what you eat on a regular day. Most of us have found that the shock of seeing what your putting into your body will give you the motivation to change your bad habits.
    try an egg with wheat toast- or a serving of cereal with fat free milk-oatmeal, to start your day, it is filling and will last a few hrs before you have to start thinking food again.
    :drinker:
    good luck. you can do it......
  • Don't be too hard on yourself, I just ate about 3 serving of birthday cake last night, the whole time I was telling myself to stop. BUT, guess what I did today? I made myself go to the food log and enter it, just like it was, and I worked out really hard today. If you can promise yourself that you will be accountable for every piece of food that goes into your mouth, you will be successful! And remember that we are all human and can't be perfect all the time:happy:

Good luck with your weight loss journey!
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Welcome! Acknowledging you need help is a great first step! ;) Take it one step at a time and don't beat yourself up too much -- you can become your own worst enemy.

My advice is to create your profile and make an effort to input your calories BEFORE you eat something. Once you see how much that Snickers bar or something else you want to eat counts for and what it's doing to your goals, you'll be less inclined to eat it.

Best of luck! We are all here for you!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Try logging before you eat it that way the information is staring you in the face before you've even put it in your mouth.
  • hartkid13
    hartkid13 Posts: 1,551 Member
    Welcome :flowerforyou:

Personally, I was floored when I started logging and saw what I was eating every day. I log my food before I eat it to give me some perspective.

I try to start each day with protein of some sort. I've found that it helps control my hunger the rest of the day and helps me make good decisions.
  • kimss
    Don't be too hard on yourself, I just ate about 3 serving of birthday cake last night, the whole time I was telling myself to stop. BUT, guess what I did today? I made myself go to the food log and enter it, just like it was, and I worked out really hard today. If you can promise yourself that you will be accountable for every piece of food that goes into your mouth, you will be successful! And remember that we are all human and can't be perfect all the time:happy:

Good luck with your weight loss journey!
    your so right... we all have our moments of weakness... but honesty on the food log helps to keep yourself in check.
    also drink lots of water, fresh vege's and exercise regularly. you will not only look better, but feel better too. your depression will soon be a thing of the past.
    :happy:
  • 3babybeans
    :laugh: Three in a row at the same time telling you to log before you eat. See! It IS good advice. LOL
  • Wow... I am truly floored while I sit here and read your posts to me! I have tears rolling down my cheeks. I really didn't know how this all would make me feel, but boy!!! I am overwhelmed and thrilled by your support and welcome. Thanks to all of you. I will take your advice and think it makes perfect sense. I feel stronger already!!:wink:
  • how did you get the weight loss ticker on there? I created one but not sure how to get it there? HELP!!!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Speaking from personal experience the only good thing about depression is how good you feel when you are over it!!:happy:

Seriously, the food you described is high sugar &high carb, which will give you a "high" and then cause you to "crash." Then you will likely crave more carbs and sugar. You have to get off this bandwagon to make any progress at all. Eating protein and the right balance of fats and good carbs will stabilize your blood sugar and give you a more balanced "good" feeling, rather than being on a roller coaster, which is what you might be on now if this is how you usually eat. Getting in balace will also give you more energy, which in turn will make you feel that much better.

If you are not knowledgeable about nutrition and don't want to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what is good for you, I recommend looking at the ZONE Diet, created by Dr Barry Sears. It gives you the consistent balance to keep you blood sugar stable, give you the protein you need to maintain muscle and energy, and enough fat to satisfy you so you don't overeat. It teaches you about "Good" carbs (Sorry, they aren't in a Snicker's bar or a doughnut!:laugh:). I could go on and on, but I have had success with this program and it is pretty easy to follow.

There are a lot of books out there about nutrition and other eating plans, but the idea is to find one you can live with, that doesn't make you feel deprived. If it isn't a good fit, you will go off it, return to old habits and start backsliding.

Keep in mind food is fuel for your body. If you had a race car that called for high octane fuel (ie protein, good carbs, proper amounts of fat), you wouldn't put sugary soda in it and expect it to win the race. Your body is no different.

I will get off my soapbox now and wish you every success in your escape from the valley of depression and your search for a better diet!! Good luck!!!

PS
    When I started my post, none of the replies above were showing yet. There is some great advice to be found. In regard to getting your ticker. Go to tools tab, build your ticker and then copy the addresses as the instructions indicate. I can't remember the details, but if you go to the tech support part of community, there are instructions outlined there. and I think more explicit instructions might be in the FAQ. I was able to figure out how to do the ticker once I read a little about how to do it..Good luck!!
  • kimss
    how did you get the weight loss ticker on there? I created one but not sure how to get it there? HELP!!!
    [/quote

I wish I could help you, { I got my hubby to do it for me} I'm not real good with these computor thingy's. :ohwell:
    But you can go to the help thread and ask, someone will give you the answers your looking for.
    If your lucky the answer is already here.

:wink:
  • 3babybeans
    how did you get the weight loss ticker on there? I created one but not sure how to get it there? HELP!!!

Copy the code
    My Home
    Settings
    Change forum signature
    Paste the code

HTH!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,128 Member
    if you want your ticker to show up every time you post, here's what to do

go to "My Home"
    go to "settings'
    go to "change forum signature"

that's where you copy and paste your ticker

you can also add a signature, goals, other stuff

then it shows up every time you post.

How I got started on this journey was to plan my meals for the day and a snack and then stick to the plan no matter what. Then after I could do that, I started logging and looking at the calories and nutrition. Just making a plan and sticking to it is a great beginning.

Work hard at this and you can do it.:bigsmile:
  • kimss
    see!!!! I told you it wouldn't be long until you had all the help you needed.
    (thats just the way we roll here!!!!)
    :happy:
  • Cariñosita
    Cariñosita Posts: 184 Member
    Welcome!! I only joined yesterday, but I've been doing some form of this off and on for awhile. You can do it...you just have to believe in yourself. I love food that is very bad for me...mostly chocolate. I also love sodas. I have quit them a few times in the past, but I always break down. A little piece of encouragement: If you can just make it 3 days without "junk food" you will hardly crave it at all. It's difficult when it's in your face all the time, so do your best to just stay away from it. Keep healthy snacks on hand and eat them when you're tempted to eat something unhealthy. Most importantly, don't give up. When you slip up, just get right back on track. Don't hate yourself for it. Good luck to you!!
  • thanks!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love it here. I :heart: this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.:smile::flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.