HELLLLLLLL NAWWWWWW!!!

Options
So all last week I noticed my weight going higher or not moving at all when looking on the scale. Even though I went to the gym 4x that week and pretty much stayed under my weight. Doing the "little cardio more weight" routine that I read in a post on here from the majority of people saying that's the best thing to do. Normally, I'm a runner. I do way more cardio than weights or the same amount for both. Anywho, I woke up Saturday at 136. I was like AHHHH HELLLLL NAWWWW! I haven't seen that amount since last July when I first started MFP. So off to the gym I went. Ran for 30 minutes and walked for 30minutes.( id run for 5 min and then walk for 5 min so you don't think I ran 30minutes str8 thru) Burned 600+ calories which then brought my goal to 2000 calories.(Orig. goal 1320) I ate most of that leaving around 300+ calories left over. Sunday I woke up at 133.6 (day before 136) Thank God! I did the same thing Sunday leaving around 200+ calories left over. Woke up today at 132.6. So, I'm saying this to say that basically everyone's body is different and you have to go for what works for you. Yes, I may have burned off water weight. I'm fine with that as long as that scale keeps going down. Yes, I may have burned some lean muscle doing so much cardio over the weekend. Oh well. I normally do weights during the week but I had to get that weight back down and that was the only way I knew how to do that w/o starving myself. I hope I helped someone with my small success story. Oh and I hardly drink any water except for while I'm at the gym. I know that's not good as well but I always feel bloated drinking 8 glasses of water a day. We'll see this week how my weight fluctuates with me incorporating weights into my workout and decreasing my cardio.

Replies

• sunshineshica
    Options
    no opinions huh..well i guess I'm doing it right
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you broke it up into paragraphs, more people would read it. Anyway, I don't see a question in there anywhere, so...?
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    When I lift heavy I always weigh more the couple of days afterwards. Weight fluctuation is normal in any case though.
  • maparis
    maparis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My advice is to stop getting on the scale every day. Weight loss (and gain) is a long term deal, not daily. Stick to a long term plan and don't put yourself through the roller coaster of daily weigh ins.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    Maybe if you broke it up into paragraphs, more people would read it. Anyway, I don't see a question in there anywhere, so...?

You're correct. there wasn't a question in there. Which is why I said no one has an opinion on what I said not an answer. I was really looking to see if there were any others out there like me. Sooo.....
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    When I lift heavy I always weigh more the couple of days afterwards. Weight fluctuation is normal in any case though.

I can see that being the case. but I sure hate seeing my weight go up.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    My advice is to stop getting on the scale every day. Weight loss (and gain) is a long term deal, not daily. Stick to a long term plan and don't put yourself through the roller coaster of daily weigh ins.

I have to get on the scale everyday to keep track of what affects my body. But thanks for your help it's greatly appreciated
  • LuLuSUPER
    Options
    Yes ma'am i had to jump start my sleeping metabolism bu adding more cardio. And i am not a runner being that I am bottom heavy but the run/walk format had worked wonders to build my endurance and burn crazy calories. Good luck on keep it tight !
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I get on the scale everyday, I just have to. I need to know if I did something wrong or right the day before. Yesterday mine read 131, today 133. I had McDonalds w/my 3yr old son yesterday and all the sodium in fast food, the fat and grease is probably why the scale moved. But I'm back to my oatmeal for breakfast, salad for lunch and probably baked chicken w/veggies for dinner. It will go back down by tomorrow. Oh and Zumba class tonight!! :)
  • min84
    min84 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with you sunshineshica...everyone's body works in different ways...I'm also one of those ppl that need the constant cardio to keep the weight off...I also try to mix my cardio and weight lifting (I do cardio 6x a week and weight training 5x aweek)....while I do like the firmness and lean look that u get with strength training, I find that the only thing that makes the scale move downwards is consistent cardio :)

Congrats on your mini victory and best of luck in moving forward :)

p.s. I also freak when my weight jumps so suddenly while I'm working out like crazy...good to know that there is something to do to bring it back down without living off carrots and water :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm guessing 136 is pretty close to healthy bmi, in which case, weights are way more important than cardio, and your diet has to be excellent.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Wow. Glad you got rid of that water weight. Personally, I care about losing fat. But whatever makes you happy.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    Yes ma'am i had to jump start my sleeping metabolism bu adding more cardio. And i am not a runner being that I am bottom heavy but the run/walk format had worked wonders to build my endurance and burn crazy calories. Good luck on keep it tight !

thanks! you do the same
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    I get on the scale everyday, I just have to. I need to know if I did something wrong or right the day before. Yesterday mine read 131, today 133. I had McDonalds w/my 3yr old son yesterday and all the sodium in fast food, the fat and grease is probably why the scale moved. But I'm back to my oatmeal for breakfast, salad for lunch and probably baked chicken w/veggies for dinner. It will go back down by tomorrow. Oh and Zumba class tonight!! :)

that's exactly why I do it too.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    I agree with you sunshineshica...everyone's body works in different ways...I'm also one of those ppl that need the constant cardio to keep the weight off...I also try to mix my cardio and weight lifting (I do cardio 6x a week and weight training 5x aweek)....while I do like the firmness and lean look that u get with strength training, I find that the only thing that makes the scale move downwards is consistent cardio :)

Congrats on your mini victory and best of luck in moving forward :)

p.s. I also freak when my weight jumps so suddenly while I'm working out like crazy...good to know that there is something to do to bring it back down without living off carrots and water :)

LOL! yeah over the weekend I ate like I normally do because that's the only way I knew how to eat majority of the calories back.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm guessing 136 is pretty close to healthy bmi, in which case, weights are way more important than cardio, and your diet has to be excellent.

I'm 5'2 and 32 years old. This is what I googled

View the Calculation Results Below:

Peoples Choice Ideal Weight: 119

This shows the average weight that other people of your Age, Height, Weight and Gender would describe as their ideal weight.
    Women tend to imagine their ideal weight is unrealistically low, so they diet unnecessarily. Men tend to allow their ideal weight to be higher than medically recommended. Men and Women should learn from each other.

Medical Recommendation: 104-137lbs

This recommendation is based on a Body Mass Index (BMI) range of 19-25.

Click to learn more about BMI recommendations
    Medical evidence suggests that all body weights within this range are reasonably equally healthy (for people of your height). Outside this range, health risks may occur.

Your current Body Mass Index is 24.3 kg/m2

So it looks like I have a pretty wide amount of weight to deal with as far as the ideal weight. I'd never or have ever been 104 lbs. I'm only going for another 10 pounds so that when I take a break for working out my weight can fluctuate between 125-130 instead of 130-135.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    Wow. Glad you got rid of that water weight. Personally, I care about losing fat. But whatever makes you happy.

As do I. I didn't say it was water weight. I have no idea if it was water weight or fat. I said I'm sure some people will say it was water weight. But Let me know how you distinguish the two. I'm all ears. Thanks
  • nutandbutter
    Options

As do I. I didn't say it was water weight. I have no idea if it was water weight or fat. I said I'm sure some people will say it was water weight. But Let me know how you distinguish the two. I'm all ears. Thanks

Let's see. You stated your weight went up following the start of weight training. This is caused by increased glycogen which is hydrophilic. Therefore, you gained water weight when you started training. That normally leaves within a couple of weeks. However, instead of waiting it out, you rushed back to your cardio. Which you somehow think made you lose 4 lbs of fat, not the water that you added through strength training. Seem about right?
  • ogma6
    ogma6 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with weighing yourself every day. I do it at least every couple of days. If you do it the same time, every day and keep a log of everything you eat and drink, you gain a pretty good understanding of how your body works. The more you know, the easier it is. You understand when you are retaining water, or not enough fiber, or maybe you just need to drop the latte, whatever.

It won't help if you are obsessed with your number, and get depressed every time it creeps back up a bit. You have to stay clinically detached. You are learning about your body. Consider it science. Be honest, keep god logs. I the end, after a few weeks, it really will give you insight.