Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anyone in their 20's or Getting Married?

coliema
coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
I'm Colie, I'm 22 years old and I'm getting married August 10, 2013. I know that is a little ways away, but I'm looking to shed around 15 pounds and keep it off and stay fit until then and after then!
I'm looking for some motivation :) and any tips from those that have lost. Food ideas would be great!

Replies

• thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Hey! I am well 21 and already married though. My weight loss happened right after I saw the wedding pictures. One huge tip that works for me... DO NOT completely cut out the foods you love. Just find a way to fit them in. I love taco bell, ice cream, pizza and what not, but if I cut it out then I would've failed like I did in the past. Also, one splurge day every now and then is perfectly fine! : )
    Try to get a good workout in 4-5 times a day. (zumba wii is super fun!). Also my new favorite breakfast food is Kelloggs krave with silk purealmond vanilla milk (taste SO good). There is so much more tips I would suggest but I am running short on time and cannot type them all. so if you would like you can add me and I will help motivate you and what not.
    Good luck! : )
  • AlexPflug
    AlexPflug Posts: 132 Member
    Congratulations on your engagement!!! I was 22 when I got married, almost 23. (It was only this past July :-P) If you see my profile you'll notice my biggest weight regret was that I did not lose the weight for my wedding. I was engaged for almost a year and a half too!

August 2013 is not too far away, because it allows you to lose weight at a slow and healthy pace. I am currently working toward losing weight for my anniversary so I am comfortable wearing a bikini. I am focusing most on what I put into my body. I also use an exercise bike to burn off any excess calories I eat, or if I feel like adding cardio. So, as far as exercise suggestions go, I don't have any, unfortunately.

However, I love to cook, and the biggest change in my life is cooking most meals from scratch. I use packaged rice mixes and canned and frozen veggies sometimes, but in general I don't eat canned anything else, noodle mixes or anything much from a box except pasta, and recently I have not eaten any frozen meals. It has made a big difference and you control everything you make. I would also recommend investing in a nuwave oven. They make cooking easy and healthy. All the fat drips down and the food is cooked relatively quickly.

Sorry for the long post!
  • Hi, Im 26 and found MFP when I was getting married in 2009. Def. helped me lose about 15 pounds. Unfortunately I am now in the process of divorce and looking to lose the 10 pounds I put on from all the stress. I would love to help you with motivation though. Losing only 10-15lbs is tough, especially if you are a little smaller to begin with. I know I can do it with some encouragement. Im positive you can too.

Start with foods like yogurt in the morning so you are not filling up on calories first thing. I am a nanny and snack sometimes when they are eating so I ensure that I have some calories saved for those snacks. I also walk everyday with the kids or play outside and then use weights for my arms/back and do ab work. I do turbo jam 2-3 times a week - 20 minute workouts or jump on the eliptical for 30 minutes and try to watch what I am putting in my mouth. Any motivation you need I am here!!! :happy:
  • hey! congratulations!

I am 22 and just got engaged in December 2011. We aren't getting married until 2014 though, because we're currently looking to buy a house and settle into our careers to save money and such for our big day. I am also looking to lose about 15 lbs.

Feel free to add me :)
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,986 Member
    I'm 27, and was married on October 10th, 2011. :) I also regret not taking the time to lose weight for my wedding. BUT, since we planned everything in a little over a month, I guess I didn't really have time to lose much, atleast in a healthy way. I am now losing weight, thanks to MyFitnessPal and the motivating friends I've made on here. Feel free to add me for motivation/inspiration! :)
  • Congrats on your engagement and future wedding! I am 25 and getting married on September 2nd of this year! We have been together 5 years and were engaged on Valentine's Day in 2011. I got on MFP when i bought my dress in November since I bought it a size smaller to help motivate myself to lost weight... i dont recommend that, but it worked for me! I am down 20lbs since Christmas this year and my dress fits! My goal is to lose another 20-30 lbs before the wedding, luckily my dress can be taken in 2 more sizes so that is my goal! :) Feel free to add me!
  • coliema
    thatgirl125- I added you :) Thank you for the advice! I've seen that cereal in stores but I wasn't sure what to think of it, glad to hear it's good, I will have to pick some up this weekend!

AlexPflug- Thank you! I will be 24 when we get married. Congrats on your wedding :) Don't be sorry for the long posting, every little bit will help me! I am going to look into that nuwave oven! I don't exercise as much as I'd like to right now but I got the Wii Fit hooked back up, hoping to get back into that routine until Spring time when I can take the dog for walks again without his paws getting cold!

jac2lyn- I am so sorry to hear about your divorce. Right now I weigh about 114-115 and want to lose around 14 or 15 pounds to shed the extra weight I've gained from not eating properly, and not exercising. I also want to boost my self confidence a little! Thank you for the motivation and the tips, I appreciate it!
  • coliema
    kfirich- Thank you! Congrats on your engagement :) My fiance and I have been together for almost 7 years and we were engaged on our "dating anniversary" of October 6th 2011. I haven't actually went and looked at dresses yet, but I am preparing myself for that! Congrats on the weight loss! :)

tiffanylacour- Congrats on the wedding! :) How did you plan it in such a short time!? I will add you :)

UpToTheChalle- Congrats :) We are waiting til 2013 so I am done with school. We bought a house in September 2010, so we don't have to worry about that. I will add you!