working out and migranes pls help...

Options
Hey,

I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to ask this but I think I suffered my first ever Migrane earlier today at work. I started to get a really intense headache on the sides and center between my eyes - my vision went blurred and then I lost 90% of the vision in my left eye it went what I can only describe as Grey I felt numb and had really extreme nausia the urge to vomit and my head to explode was painful.
Since then my vision has come back I'm still left with a bad headache.

My question is I'm doing Ripped in 30 and currently on Day 16 I was wondering whether I should skip my workout tonight or still do it?
Never had a migrane before and Im worried if I work out it might bring it back on and I never want to feel that again :(

So if anyone out there who suffers from migranes firstly how do you cope? thats some serious pain!! I feel for you!
and second do you workout after or skip? Does it make it better or worse?

Thanks so much x

Replies

• qkidney
    qkidney Posts: 258
    Options
    When I get a migrane, I usually have to sleep it off. I get really sensitive to light and sound - so I generally need to be in a dark room, alone and go to sleep (after I take something for pain).

If I was you, I would probably take today off from Ripped in 30 and rest. That way you won't cause yourself any more pain than you are already in.

Hope that helps! :)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I get migraines too. They can be caused by many different triggers - foods, severe weather, dehydration, spikes in blood pressure, etc. As long as you are feeling ok at the time of workout, I say go for it. Trust me, you will know if you can't handle it and stop... If you are concerned about getting them again, you might want to start keeping a log of your days to see what caused it to begin with.

Also, try drinking gatorade next time you get one. The electrolytes help!
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've always had bad headaches, but recently it's more common. Last week I had headaches 5 out 7 days. Yesterday I had a migraine and I know that the Thursday before last I had a migraine so bad that I couldn't even move my head.

I usually will just take my medicine and lay down when I have migraines. Headaches just aren't something I function well with. I usually try taking some medicine and sip on water, unless I know I haven't had caffiene in a while, and then I will just get some caffiene.

Hopefully you won't have anymore. They are not fun at all.
  • Sharonsimon
    Sharonsimon Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi I've suffered with migraines for 20 years or so yours does sound like a migraine yes these are intense and if they get too bad I do need to lay in a sark room. I don't know if this is just me but I've noticed in the past year if I can feel them coming on a good workout like circuit training can elevate them I don't know if this is because I'm raising my blood pressure or whether it's simply because I've taken my mind if it this doesnot work all the time but atleast 75% of the time hope this can help feel free to add me as a friend if you wish
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Skip it skip it skip! Then get a doctor appt to rule out other causes than migraine. They will also be able to fix you up with something to help of you get another one. I'm sorry! Migraines suck!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    1) I would go to a doctor about your head. Just to be safe.

2) Doing healthy things should not cause you to be unhealthy. So, if it were me, I'd go to the work out, but just maybe pace myself a bit more than usual. Getting your body functioning well is a key to eliminating things like migraines. And, honestly, even when I'm having an off day, I NEVER regret working out and usually feel better.

3) I'd keep an eye on your diet and really consider what you put into your body. There are a lot of dietary things that can impact migraines and as others have also said, being hydrated is super important.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Wow being your 1st migraine, and that severe of vision loss go to doctor!!!, Most people with migraines have a history of them, I've had em since pre-teens, get light sensitive and have to sleep em off. What you describe sounds like something else is going on, I'd be safe.