Hi, I am new to this site

Options
Hi there. I am new to this site and started today. I am 40yr old women with a loving family. I want to get healthy for my family and myself (of course). I do have a lot of medication I take (which has caused the weight gain- due to an auto-immune disease) and have also been immobile for 13 months due to a broken foot and have just started walking.

Would love to hear how everyone is finding this program. Looking forward to this journey and improving my exercise (while paying attention to my healing foot)...

Thanks, :smile:

Replies

• iluvmycats
    iluvmycats Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!
    Best of luck to you..if there is anything I can do to help with encouragement or just an ear when you need to vent, please feel free to add me!

I started MFP last year and it was eh ok..i got out what i put in. I have been doing it again since 12/26/11 and have been sticking with it and when some days its an ache in my behind to track, it helps keep me honest with myself about what im eating and doing and i need that. Having met some ppl on here it helps when im feeling gunshy about what i have done and then i see someone say how they ate a bag of chips and feel guilty and suddenly im reminded im not alone.

Best to you!
  • awidener86
    awidener86 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Welcome!:smile:
  • JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

I originally started here last August, but I wasn't really committed to what I know I need to do to reach my goals. I started back a few weeks ago and am being more honest with myself and what I eat. I also am learning a new way of eating as I recently found out I am gluten intolerant, so a change in what and how I eat for sure.

Feel free to add me if you like.
  • whitetiger011680
    whitetiger011680 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    welcome.gif
  • chub_b_gone
    chub_b_gone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi..Ive been on here since the 16th and I think its helpful keeping me honest and being able to see what Im eating and shouldnt be eating :wink: it helps to have friends too bc they can see what you are eating..makes you think twice about that candy bar..
  • sassy0507
    Options
    Hi and welcome! :bigsmile: I joined just this year but have found the motivation from others is extremely helpful! Alot of users will leave their diary for friends to view. This has helped me too because each person has variety of things to eat and what I may not think of, I can get ideas from other people and vice versa.

You can add me if you like. I love having friends... :)

Just start your journey slow as your foot continues to heal.

Good luck!
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Hi and Welcome! I've only been on here for about a month thanks to a friend at work who told me about it. She and I have been working at this together (with help from our friends on here too). I also found out after posting on Facebook, that a few of my friends there do this too...yay, even more support!! I've gotten bored with dieting in the past; therefore, I would give up too easily. This site makes it fun, and so easy. I'm learning more and more about it as I go along, and being more consciously aware of what I eat or drink because it gets logged.

I wish you luck on your journey!!!
  • RinnyFay
    RinnyFay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome! Sorry to hear about your recent troubles :sad: Hope the foot heals quickly!

I find MFP to be really great. It keeps track of everything for me, I just plug in the info. I am doing the same thing as you - getting healthier to be a better mom to my 4 kids. They keep me so busy and at 249 pounds where I started, I was struggling to get day to day things done and have any energy left over in the evenings. I lost almost 20 pounds before I started MFP, and it was a good tool to help me keep track of what I eat day to day. It's easy to go a few days without logging in, but I can definitely say I eat more when I'm not accountable on MFP.

Best of luck to you! :smile:
    Erin
  • shantaeya
    Options
    Welcome to the site and I love it. It helps me keep track of how many calories I have eaten and helps me to want to eat less so that I am intaking less calories. When i first started I was not sure if I would make it because I kept going over my calories but slowly I am improving. I hope it works out for you.
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am a 37 yr old mother of two. I, too, am fighting the effects of medication that I still have to take. One of the reasons why I ended up gaining these extra pounds. I completely understand! I joined almost 2 years ago, but wasn't really committed. I got serious in October and lost several pounds then I got injured and had to have surgery. I recently got clearance from the doc to start back exercising. So I am back on track and already losing again(slowly but surely). I am super excited, but the friends I have on MFP definitely keep me motivated. I also have a great support system in my family and friends. MFP keeps me honest and on track. Good luck and add me if you like!
  • sassygamma
    sassygamma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site, i just love it here it has helped me out so much, keeps me on track and accountable...
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Add me if you would like:bigsmile:
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I love it here! There is so much encouragement, and using the food and exercise diaries make losing so much easier! I can totally relate to the meds and the difficulty with your injury. I am 55 and was permanently injured 8/08 so my walking ability consists of a walker or 2 canes. My meds contributed to my weight gain also. (It also started back when I had a complete hysterectomy.) Feel free to add me! Would love to encourage each other along the way. :flowerforyou:
  • roachtg
    roachtg Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am pretty new to this site also. I am really liking the site, so easy to plug in your info and have it calculate for you. I am looking for more friends to keep me motivated. Feel free to add me
  • leahb97
    leahb97 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm new as of today; found out about this site from a coworker and thought I'd try it! Tried Sparkpeople.com and lost interest, but am thinking I just wasn't ready then. I've been losing on my own, but know that having additional support is a must! :wink: My goals are 10#'s at a time, something I can live with; this is my year to get healthy and fit!
  • Born2bFree2k12
    Options
    I am also new to this site. Go the address from a natural hair forum. I too was on Sparkpeople.com and lost interest. Hopefully I'll get it done on this site. Add me.