exercise question..need help!

I have MS. I am walking on a treadmill during the winter (outside in the summer), doing walking dvds, and yoga dvds. I have recently discovered music that has the bpm....(I know, I know...I am way slow!!! I am also going on 53!)
I am trying to just feel good, have fluid movement and lose weight. I do not want to be in a wheelchair!

I am exercising for 30 min to one hour on the treadmill. I must admit one hour is hard for me. I usually do 30 min to 45 min.

Someone told me that I will have to exercise longer and/or harder to burn the same amount of calories that I burn now (I use a HRM)......this scares me b/c I do not know if I can do longer or harder. I do not want to lose the ground I fought so hard for!
Is this true??????

Suggestions?
Nuggets of wisdom?
Help?
THANKS!

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    I have special workout needs too- so for us, we CANNOT take advice for people who have no physical limitations and apply it whole-hog to ourselves.

Working out for an hour six days a week? Only if I want to make sure I stay in my wheelchair the rest of the time! ;)

Our weight loss might be slower than others because of our limitations and special requirements- but moving is losing. Sure you should push yourself a little more each time- but do not expect to push yourself like someone who doesn't have MS. It just wouldn't make sense.

Keep doing what you can do and keep your docs informed about your workouts and nutrition. If what you are doing is working for you- then keep on doing it :)
  • Here's the thing... yes, as you progress you do burn less doing the same amount, but.. you have also built up a system internally that is burning more calories. Weight loss will slow even more, and it's frustrating at time, but honestly, to push beyond your physical limitations is more dangerous then good when you have challenges physically. I have some myself, and keep pushing, but also be sure to follow what you are able to do and know it IS making a difference, it IS building muscle, as muscle builds you WILL burn more calories then you did before you started ;) It's all in a positive category