Weekend Weight Gain

Options
Am so upset that I can lose a few pounds during the week but seem to put it right back on over the weekend. I feel like if I don't have a "cheat" day I will completely fall off the wagon. Is there anyone else going through this same thing. I can't be the only one. :cry: Anyone have any tips to help me get through the weekend a little better.

Replies

• 2012dancingqueen
    2012dancingqueen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i don't have any tips but i am right with you. I dont even know how i gained back the 2 pounds i lost in two weeks since i kept to my calories but i weighed myself today and i'm right where i started. So frustrated. Any tips/ideas are welcomed too.
  • mylildeva
    Options
    bump
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Do you eat like crazy on the weekend? If you're dieting and normally eat 1300 on a weekday, why not up it to 1900 on the weekend cheat day? It'll give you some cheat but you can't actually gain pounds back that quickly.
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Umm... my mum used to have her 'cheat day' on her weigh in day, also possibly change your weigh in day to a Saturday morning?
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I lose during the week and if I have a day where I eat and gover my calories I put it back on. Some say its just water weight but I dont know.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Number 1 are you drinking alcohol? Also, friend me so I can see your diary.

Maybe you should make your cheat day in the middle of the week such as Wednesday or Thursday just to break it up a little.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    i lost 3 pounds awhile back thought id give myself a cheat seeing it was the weekend gained 7 pounds during that weekend...im not going to do cheat days anymore because its to tempting and ill have no controle over myself...so ive taken tempation out of the way and holding myself on a short leash
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Take measurements. The tape measure can't lie(too much), your weight changes depending on many factors, so try something that can be a little more constant
  • Blakkmale2001
    Options
    i had success this weekend....i think its a mindset....i made up my mind that i was gonna power through it...make sure you contine to track what you eat...yes cheat a little i do. but record it...and try to be more physcally active over the weekend...make sure you go for walks and keep busy..i love the fact that when you record your excercise for an hour or so you can eat a few hundred more calories!!
  • athandtia
    athandtia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hi, this is a common problem i'm afraid, and very frustrating. i guess the thing to do is track what you're eating over the weekend and see where you're going wrong. good luck.:smile:
  • e_NV_y
    e_NV_y Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have the SAME problem! During the week i will eat so well partly because im working and make my lunches and such.. but it seems as the weekend comes and im out and about going to dinner or drinks or whatever i usually gain a few pounds back by Monday! :( its been a vicious cycle my whole weight loss journey.. ugh!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I am right there with you. I feel like all the eating right and working out that I did all week doesn't matter now after yesterday.
    I like to have one cheat meal on the weekend. One bad meal turned into three! I was feeling so full. I went over my calories by 1200. That is a lot!
    All I can do today is get back on track put yesterday behind me and be more careful next weekend.
  • deliak2010
    Options
    Don't lose motivation, it's ok! It's all about trial and error in the beginning and seeing what works best for YOU. I used to fall off the wagon on weekends too with my cheat day but then realized that a cheat day is too much so I changed it to a cheat meal. So, with my cheat meal on saturday or sunday, that day only ends up exceeding my normal calorie intake by 200-300 cals, sometimes more if I'm going out for dinner, have a get together, etc. I've also read that your cheat meal/cheat day should not exceed your BMR but I'm not sure how to calculate that so you should search the forums for more info. Anyway, you can adjust the numbers how you see fit but I noticed that after I started to do a cheat meal instead of an entire day of high cal foods, I was able to maintain MUCH better on sat & sun, especially considering I exercise much less on weekends. Hope that helps and feel free to add me if you woud like additional support. Best of luck on your journey! :)
  • xtraKEWLbruva
    xtraKEWLbruva Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing. I am going to push one of my workout days to Saturday and minimize my cheat day to 250 - 500 calories.
  • LadyFluff
    Options
    I am having this same issues & I never thought about it before until now but I like to have some drinks over the weekend and never really thought about the calories or anything. What are you eating to "cheat" maybe cutting it back a little might help I am gonna try that this weekend..
  • Jordynnsmom
    Jordynnsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day on the weekend. What I have discovered is to not weight myself the next day. Unless you have a SUPER speedy system your still carrying that food or a good portion of it and usually on cheat days my salt is way higher. My advice is don't weigh yourself on Monday. My weigh in day is usually Monday, but this week I wont be doing it until Tuesday because I made chinese food and had lots of soy sauce and seaweed. SUPER SALTY=water weight. Stop beating your self up...Have a lot of water and a good excercise today and weigh yourself tomorrow.
  • RachelGraceReed83
    RachelGraceReed83 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I find that having my meals planned out for everyday helps me to stay on track especially on the weekends!

I even goes as far as pre-cooking so that I have no excuses! (Like if the meal I planned has chicken, I will cook it ahead of time.)

Oh and I try to make my cheat day on weigh in day (after I have weighed in of course)
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It is probably bloat/water retention from the cheat day. If it is messing with your motivation then maybe change your weigh in day to friday. That way, if you eat heavy on the weekend you can make it up by eating and exercising healthier during the week. Also, I work out extra hard on Saturday's and Sunday's just so I can eat/drink with my friends on the weekends.

Just a thought.
  • skifdnkgrl
    Options
    Alcohol is a BIG factor for me on the weekends.
  • smalltheresa
    smalltheresa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    your weight fluctuates everyday. We you overeat on the weekends you are not going to gain everything simply by two days. I say do not focus on the scale everyday becuase if you do you will go crazy. I joined weight watchers last month and when I taught that I gained two lbs, I was surprise to have lost five lbs. I know at one point I gained but that could be a number of factors. One can be I am retaining water. I know on the weekends I would eat entire bag of potato chips, fried chicken tenders and whatever junk I ate and then I realize I did not even drink any water. So when I step on the scale during the beginning of the week, it shows on the scale. However I know my body and it simply all the sodium in my body and it will show on the scale. Dr. Oz says one can have a FATURation or something like that where we simply have a cheat day and then the next five or six days we eat a healthy and exericse. So do not focus on scale as much but just that you eat healthy 80 percent of the time.