New Career

Options
So...I know that this isn't really an Introduce Yourself topic, but I just have so much on my mind right now. I am a Pharmacy Technician right now and I'm 21. I want to go through to be a Pharmacist....I think. I'm not really sure what I want to do, but I know I want to keep going in school and I really like Pharmacy. I told my boyfriend about my want and he said that he would not support me, because he doesn't want my debt along with marrying me. I mean, what am I supposed to say to that? I'm not going to jummp right into my doctorate, but I would like to do the prereqs and keep my options open. I would like to complete my doctorate. I just....ugh...he says that I don't know what I want, which is true...I'm not going to decide today, but to keep my options open and get ready for it is what I want. I supported him when he decided to run his own business. Why can't he support me?

Replies

• AR73
    AR73 Posts: 107
    Options
    I can't answer why he won't support your decision, but I can't believe the debt comment!

Have you asked him?
  • rseegert
    Options
    Yeah, I asked him and he just gets mad and says if we get married then what's my debt is his and he doesn't want it.
  • AR73
    AR73 Posts: 107
    Options
    Have you shown him that you are serious about this career?

Perhaps he does not that the debt is a short term thing and that your self actualization is a lifelong goal.

I think that if you really want to do it, you should and if he really loves you he will understand.

IMHO and experience if you sacrifice your goals for your SO no good will come of it in the end.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Well, I'd delay the wedding. Maybe until you get your education paid off....maybe that will turn into indefinitely. I know marriage and money is a minefield that needs to be navigated.

There will always be money issues in any relationship. If you finish school and get a good job it will be just a few years until you pay off the debt, right?
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Well i can tell you this, if you are becoming a pharmacist, then it wont be hard for you to pay off your debt. You easily make $90,000 coming out. I think you can manage your school loans with that salary and pay for a wedding.

I am going to pharmacy school this fall, and I am still paying off loans from graduate school. My hubby doesn't find it an issue at all because he know how much i will be making when i get that PharmD.

Also, I would also like to add, that some pharmacy schools require that you participate in paid internships. Plus you are a pharm tech. So you can have a source of income coming in.
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Wow. That sounds like sabotage.

It's your life, your career. Never depend on a man to carry you through - he may not be there tomorrow.

If he's so worried about debt he can wait to marry you until you're out of debt.
  • rseegert
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for your help. I've been looking more into it and I"ve been talking with him, so I think we will be okay. :) He seems to be a bit better about it. And waiting for the wedding until I'm down with school might be an option for him. That might make him feel better. But thank you guys again...it really helped.