Science and Fact Quoting naysayers go away WE CAN DO IT!

Options
Remember a bumblebee cannot aerodynamically fly it's been proven by science. Bumblebees ignores science and fliy around anyway. So don't let anyone or any so called science facts from friends / family tell you that you can't do this. Be a bumblebee and fly fly fly!

Replies

• azura8181
    Options
    Bump Thanks for posting this!
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Going to be a naysayer and post this scientific link.

http://www.physics.org/featuredetail.asp?id=32
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    love, love, love this!!!!!:heart:
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Going to be a naysayer and post this scientific link.

http://www.physics.org/featuredetail.asp?id=32

you naysayer you :grumble:
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    ancient-aliens-it-was-aliens.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Science has a place here on the forums. So many myths get funneled through fitness and if we just went on hearsay of people without scientific proof to back it, then people would be using/doing methods that are either useless or have no merit.
    Lifting a weight with the right body mechanics was scientifically studied to understand benefit and how to prevent injury. Should that be disregarded?
    Eating 500 calories a day would seem right since calorie deficit is the gist of weight loss, but there's scientific evidence to show what happens if you followed a program like that.
    Science isn't bad. Without it you wouldn't be typing on the computer you currently have. Where people find science bad is when it interferes with PERSONAL STANCES on how they like to achieve goals or success.
    The bumblebee is an exception. There will always be exceptions. But in general science usually has the right answers.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Science has a place here on the forums. So many myths get funneled through fitness and if we just went on hearsay of people without scientific proof to back it, then people would be using/doing methods that are either useless or have no merit.
    Lifting a weight with the right body mechanics was scientifically studied to understand benefit and how to prevent injury. Should that be disregarded?
    Eating 500 calories a day would seem right since calorie deficit is the gist of weight loss, but there's scientific evidence to show what happens if you followed a program like that.
    Science isn't bad. Without it you wouldn't be typing on the computer you currently have. Where people find science bad is when it interferes with PERSONAL STANCES on how they like to achieve goals or success.
    The bumblebee is an exception. There will always be exceptions. But in general science usually has the right answers.

IDEA Fitness member

^^ this.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    I think that some people are missing the point of the post. I think this is just to supply support and tell people to prove to themselves that they can lose weight, not to say that all science is wrong or that it has no place in this matter.
  • chelleann777
    chelleann777 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post! It is really encouraging. People always tell you you can't do it, the odds are against you, etc, but WE CAN DO IT! It doesn't matter how many people say no; all it takes is you saying yes to yourself! I love science and definetly think it is important to pretty much everything around us, but there is a lot of crazy "reseach" out there. Really, we have to do what is best for us and take all these reports, findings, and data that is thrown at us and decide for ourselves what we want to do with it. But honestly, another person saying that eating fake sugar will kill me or that corn is of the devil just really makes me feel overwhelmed like "Is there anything out there that is safe?" Science is great, but how we take and interpret science is what often causes problems.
  • chelleann777
    Options
    I think that some people are missing the point of the post. I think this is just to supply support and tell people to prove to themselves that they can lose weight, not to say that all science is wrong or that it has no place in this matter.

agreed!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    ....just no.
  • huracan_mery
    huracan_mery Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Not missing the point - I know it was made to encourage people, but we cannot continue this culture of downplaying science just to give a cute anecdote to make people feel better. Evidence-based science already has a poor reputation in the minds of many people who benefit from it daily. It's the kind of mentality that keeps people running back to the "health" store for the latest BS weight loss supplement, or try the dangerous "cleanse" they read about on the internet. It is possible to encourage people and not promote ignorance at the same time.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thanks for this post! It is really encouraging. People always tell you you can't do it, the odds are against you, etc, but WE CAN DO IT! It doesn't matter how many people say no; all it takes is you saying yes to yourself! I love science and definetly think it is important to pretty much everything around us, but there is a lot of crazy "reseach" out there. Really, we have to do what is best for us and take all these reports, findings, and data that is thrown at us and decide for ourselves what we want to do with it. But honestly, another person saying that eating fake sugar will kill me or that corn is of the devil just really makes me feel overwhelmed like "Is there anything out there that is safe?" Science is great, but how we take and interpret science is what often causes problems.
    "Real" science finds no issue with artificial sweetners or corn. It's the pseudoscience that's the issue.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Not missing the point - I know it was made to encourage people, but we cannot continue this culture of downplaying science just to give a cute anecdote to make people feel better. Evidence-based science already has a poor reputation in the minds of many people who benefit from it daily. It's the kind of mentality that keeps people running back to the "health" store for the latest BS weight loss supplement, or try the dangerous "cleanse" they read about on the internet. It is possible to encourage people and not promote ignorance at the same time.
    This.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Remember a bumblebee cannot aerodynamically fly it's been proven by science.
    You know that isn't true, right?

I'm not sure what you're on about. What scientific naysayers are you talking about? What is it you want to do that people tell you can't be done?
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm a scientist myself. Has any scientist (or science, for that matter) every told you "You can't do it!" Nope. Each of us is capable of accomplishing anything we put our mind to. Science is a tool for gaining knowledge and understanding.

By the way, the "BS weight loss supplement" phenomenon is actually not a direct product of science. It's a product of entrepreneurial (usually greedy) individuals using scientific findings as a basepoint for developing some "formula" to get rich quick...in combination with a massive media campaign.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Remember a bumblebee cannot aerodynamically fly it's been proven by science. Bumblebees ignores science and fliy around anyway. So don't let anyone or any so called science facts from friends / family tell you that you can't do this. Be a bumblebee and fly fly fly!

Oooh.

A) The bumblebee thing is a myth. There's no scientific reason that bumblebees can't fly.

B) I don't know of any scientists that tell you "you can't do this". Every scientist I know says that "yes, you can".

C) The "scientists" on this forum are actually trying to keep you from wasting your time and effort on pointless and sometimes harmful voodoo. They want you to lose weight in a safe, effective, and scientifically sound manner, as opposed to spending a fortune on the latest and greatest snake-oil quick fix method.

If I can help people avoid the mistakes I made when I was desperate, naive, and a little bit foolish, I certainly will. You're welcome to ignore my advice.

Sincerely,

A scientist who does not intend to 'go away'.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Surely you can't be serious?
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Surely you can't be serious?

I am serious.. and don't call me Shirley
  • chelleann777
    Options
    "Real" science finds no issue with artificial sweetners or corn. It's the pseudoscience that's the issue.

IDEA Fitness member

I agree. Notice I said *people* saying these things are bad for us is the problem; I never said real science said there was an issue with these things. REAL science is what is keeping the world moving and functioning. Pseudoscience and people posting every little piece of information they find on a topic as hardcore scientific fact when it is mostly underresearched illegetimate babble. I am for the idea of taking everything you hear with a grain of salt. Test it for yourself. Look it up for yourself. Just because one person or one little known researcher said it does not make it fact. We need to be objective and not just sponges absorbing in every little piece of information that is floating around.

BTW: I agree with you.