During the week or weekend?

Options
Do you generally burn more calories during the week days or on the weekend and why?

For me: I would say it varies. I have double workouts about three times a week (I teach a fitness class, and then I workout on my own as well). So on those days I generally burn more than on a Saturday or Sunday.

Saturdays and Sundays: I love being able to wake up and burn as long as I want to (or until it's time for church or family activites).

Let's hear it! I'm interested!

Replies

• StarIsMoving
    Options
    It's a weekend for me, definitely. I get up at 4 on weekdays, in the car by 5:30, sitting on my butt for commute... get to work by 7 and back on my butt until 4pm... then the hour commute home, on my butt - you get the idea. My hour workouts look small on those days, but it's something. Weekends though?? Tennis, running/walking, biking, elliptical, strength, hanging with my teens (activity in and of itself, lol). Oh, if only everyday were a weekend day!!!! :P
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I generally burn 450-800 during my week day workouts... Usually it's a quicker cardio session and a shorter strength training session. I've been trying to do more morning workouts so my time is limited though I have had success with them.

I LOVE the weekends for working out because I can spend as much time there as I want. I generally burn 1000-1500 Sat and Sun. I like that I can sit in the sauna AND the jacuzzi for as long as I want. I can come home, make some good food (protein packed!) and just rest for the rest of the day. Also, which has been KEY for me, is that if I know I have 2 intense weekend workout sessions planned I tend to behave on Fri and Sat night... versus the old me that would go out and drink all the time!!! I've really become a better person because of that!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I also tend to burn more on the weekend because there's more time. Ideally, in the warmer months, I'm out for a walk/run for at least 2 hours and I can get a burn of 800-1000 calories depeding on intensity. This time of year, I'll go to the gym for a little over an hour and try to burn 500-600.

Mon-Fri, I go to the gym during my lunch break so I only have an hour, including changing and showering and a quick primp so my workouts tend to only be about 40-45 minutes long, which means I typically burn 300-400 calories.
  • miss_september
    Options
    Weekends for me too, that is when my husband and I have the most time. During the week I get what I can in, usually 40-60 minutes a day, and on the weekends we shoot for 90-120 minutes in addition to whatever active stuff we do (and rarely do we get to just relax and not move much). I don't really factor in the "fun" activities, just figure they are the cherry on top =-).
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    usually 50 min cardio per weekday and 100 min or so each weekend day.

just an average; it can vary up or down depending on how much time i have on any given day. and if i'm nursing an injury or illness, it goes down.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I love all the weekenders!

So, does anyone feel crazy bad for looking at their friends who have just had a major burn through the week day and you are stuck in the office on your booty doing a huge stack of paperwork?! LOL
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Week day here. Luckily I'm a stay home mom of teenagers so once they are off to school, I'm off to the gym. Weekends are always crazed and I rarely even make it to the gym.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    burn more during the week for me. I am usually so busy driving my kids to all their sports during the weekend that I rarely get a moment to fit in a good workout. But during the week I head out to the gym on my lunch break and make the best of the 40 minutes I get in there.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Week day here. Luckily I'm a stay home mom of teenagers so once they are off to school, I'm off to the gym. Weekends are always crazed and I rarely even make it to the gym.

Makes sense!! For my crazy weekends I always wake up super duper early to get in a HUGE workout not knowing food-wise how it will be :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

So, does anyone feel crazy bad for looking at their friends who have just had a major burn through the week day and you are stuck in the office on your booty doing a huge stack of paperwork?! LOL

There are days that I'm very jealous of them, for sure! Today, I was happy with my 40 minutes but I've definitely had times (like that gorgeous day last week when I went out for a run/walk) when I wished I could have at least another 30-60 minutes. It's probably a good thing that my gym buddy has a more restrictive position so I can't dawdle - or I might've gotten myself in trouble by now!
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    I love all the weekenders!

It sure does make me wish I had more flexible hours, or a work-at-home position so I could work out on my lunch. I am away from my house 12 hrs/day on weekdays between commute and work, juggling 3 kids (2 disabled), bills, meals, dr appts, daughter's physical therapy 3x/wk, etc...and soon to be adding full time college to that list - I get so envious of those that get to burn more calories on weekdays!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure.

Monday to Friday, I aim to do dedicated exercise, BUT I sit in an office barely moving for eight hours.
    Saturday, I do something gentle but active, as well as being more active overall.
    Sunday, is my rest day, but again I'm generally more active than I am during the week.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I get about 600 calorie burn 3-4 days during the week then 800-900 calorie burn on Saturday and Sunday. So I guess I would say weekends.