Gym or no gym??????

Options
Well i have lost 19 pounds by using the eliptical and the recumbant bike we have here at our house and also i will tivo fitness tv shows and do them. My husband joined 24 hour fitness a week ago and wants me to join but im not sure because i have equipment here at the house and dont want to waste the money on a gym member ship what do you guys think?

Replies

• melli244
    melli244 Posts: 63
    Options
    Well i have lost 19 pounds by using the eliptical and the recumbant bike we have here at our house and also i will tivo fitness tv shows and do them. My husband joined 24 hour fitness a week ago and wants me to join but im not sure because i have equipment here at the house and dont want to waste the money on a gym member ship what do you guys think?
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    I have a statinary bike and a stepper, dumbell at home to and a nearby track so i do go to the gym and besides at the rec center we have agym thats free to the residence lucky me:laugh: :smile:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    depends on how tight your budget is.

Personally, i joined the gym for the fitness classes (cardio circuit and body blast are my faves), but I only did it then because I got a membership for cheap. My hubby is a doctoral student at a university and I got a spouse pass for only $60/semester.

If you're happy with what you've got, that's cool. But, your hubby is reaching out to spend more time with you - - - that's always a good thing! :wink:
  • jesse1117
    jesse1117 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i like the gym because i like the classes. i find i work out harder when everyone else is working too.
  • jesse1117
    jesse1117 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i like the gym because i like the classes. i find i work out harder when everyone else is working too.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    is say join if the two of you can work out together. it's something positive to do w/ your hubby instead of watching tv or going out to dinner.
  • melli244
    Options
    Well our budget is very tight and im still upset that hes spendingmoney we dont have on a membership when we have equipment at home. Im glad hes getting healthy . He goes with his friends after work so i probably wouldnt be working out with him anyways and everytime we have worked out at home we end up fighting. I whent yesterday and did a aqua class and loved it so im thinking about it, but im happy at home with what i do. I do like that we would have the gym in common. Thanks for all your thoughts :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    If money is tight, skip it. I only get out to the gym once or twice a week becaues of child care issues, so I also do most workouts at home.

Keep up the great work!
    :flowerforyou:
  • shannon128
    Options
    I have to say, 24 hour fitness rocks. There isn't any around here but I had a membership when I lived up north and loved it.

I think it would depend on the price if I would sign up. I have planet fitness now which is only $15.00/mo and that includes free unlimited tanning.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Well our budget is very tight and im still upset that hes spendingmoney we dont have on a membership when we have equipment at home. Im glad hes getting healthy . He goes with his friends after work so i probably wouldnt be working out with him anyways and everytime we have worked out at home we end up fighting. I whent yesterday and did a aqua class and loved it so im thinking about it, but im happy at home with what i do. I do like that we would have the gym in common. Thanks for all your thoughts :smile: :flowerforyou:

If you want classes, check and see if you have a nearby Parks and Recreation that offers anything. The one near me offers Cardio Kickboxing, yoga, pilates, weight training and a bunch more for a very small fee. The last 4-6 weeks so if you don't like it, you can switch to something else or drop it altogether and have only paid for those classes. I did the Zumba class once and think I may go back next session.

Oh, and if you have small children, they sometimes offer fun stuff for them to do while you are working out.
  • EcHoOoOoO
    EcHoOoOoO Posts: 89
    Options
    When our budget was tight i didnt go to the gym! But i go now 5 days a week and I love it. Your fortunate to have the machines you have at home. And if your losing weight then just do that until you can afford it
  • EcHoOoOoO
    EcHoOoOoO Posts: 89
    Options
    When our budget was tight i didnt go to the gym! But i go now 5 days a week and I love it. Your fortunate to have the machines you have at home. And if your losing weight then just do that until you can afford it
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    if it is affordable you can switch it up so you dont get bored....plus u can weight train there too........:smile:
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    for me a gym is a necessity. I dont have room in my house for large equipment. my elderly mom lives with me so she is always here, and i feel weird exericsing in front of her LOL for me the gym is not only a way to get fit, but a way to get out and have some "alone time" so, its all about what works best for you mentally, physicially, and financially.
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    If you've already got a routine at home, I wouldn't waste the money.
  • melli244
    Options
    I love the idea of going to the gym and working out all the time but in the end i know i wouldnt end up going or if i did it would only be once or twice a week. I have two small kids and im not sure what the hours are for the daycare but i can check on it and see if it works with the classes i may want to take. Im going to check out that rec idea, thanks for that i never even thought of that.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I like the variety of machines I can use at the gym. I have my sisters elliptical at home and use it on days that I can't get to the gym but I find that I don't work out as long on hers.

My BF and I used to go to the gym together and always ended up fighting because we're trained differently. I went to school to learn about strength and conditioning and he played college, junior, and minor pro hockey so we butt heads when we go.

My family got our gym memberships in 1995 so our price is unreal. For 4 people it's only $24 a month so you can't really beat that.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hmm for myself I said when june comes and i am still 100% in it to win it then I will splurge for a 24hr fitness place......perhaps make yourself earn it then it wont feel so much like wasting money:drinker:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of going to the gym and working out all the time but in the end i know i wouldnt end up going or if i did it would only be once or twice a week. I have two small kids and im not sure what the hours are for the daycare but i can check on it and see if it works with the classes i may want to take. Im going to check out that rec idea, thanks for that i never even thought of that.
    couldnt u go opposite your husband since its 24hrs and leave the kiddies with him for 1-2hrs
  • melli244
    Options
    Thats a good idea mabey joining after i have hit a significant goal, i think if i were at the gym i would work harder than when im here at home. Its so easy to just get off and go watch tv. The hubby gets off at 2pm so then i get our daughter and then cook dinner and after that im ready to watch tv and go to bed so the evening isnt the best time for me to work out. I like to work out in the morning before i take her to school about 1030 so then im done for the day and its before lunch. My neighbor has a gym membership and shes the one i whent to the aqua class with and shes pushing me to get the membership to, she says something thats mine and i can get out of the house.