Soup Ideas, Please!!!

Options
I love soup but have a hard time finding recipes that don't use tomatoes or similar products as I suffer from acid reflux.
Would love to try soups that don't consist of tomatoes products. If you have some please share, thanks.

Also, any quick lunch recipes would also be great.

Replies

• Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Here are links to two of my all-time favorite soup recipes:

Broccoli and Chicken Noodle Soup - The name is misleading. This is more like cream of broccoli with chicken and noodles.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/broccoli-chicken-noodle-soup-10000001880025/

Rachael Ray's Chicken Noodle Soup - Her recipe just turns out really tasty
    http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=746

For some other ideas - any kind of "cream of" soup would probably work well. You can always substitute FF 1/2 & 1/2 for heavier milk products. Also asian-flavored soups like egg drop or wonton typically don't have tomatoes or bell peppers in them.
  • quinto1025
    quinto1025 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just made this the other night and it was delicious.

Asparagus and Broccoli Soup
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2973
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You could make any soup and omit the tomatoes.. well, except tomato soup, of course.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I have a bunch. E-mail me at theresa@bargainblooms.net and i will send them to you.

They are not necessarily all healthy recipes but most low calorie.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    This acorn squash soup is AMAZING!!!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Acorn-Squash-Soup/

Made it yesterday and it's almost gone :)

Oh and I just use the equivalent in 1% milk and I don't put the bacon on top
  • vminc893
    Options
    You could try something like the Olive Garden Zuppa Tuscana soup. Here is one version online
    http://www.copykat.com/2009/03/29/olive-garden-zuppa-toscana-ii/
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have a veggie beef stew in my crockpot now cooking - used left over rump roast shredded that I cooked last night in crockpot with juices and flavors left in pot from that. added 5 cups of water a bag of birdseye veggies (corn, carrots and asparagus) chopped up an onion, two celery stalks and a red bell pepper...cannot wait til its done flavoring in the pot!!!
  • rawan_alheresh
    Options
    Adas soup (red lentil), in a pot combine the following: 1 cup of red lentils, i finely chopped onion, 1 tsp salt, 1 TBS olive oil. Leave on high for 15 minutes, then decrease heat and cook for another 30 mins. Then puree in a blender until you get a smooth creamy texture. For an additional kick, a few drops of tobasco sauce, pr oven grilled pita break pieces.

Enjoy!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I like to start with a can of green echilada sauce as a base. Throw in one can of equal amount water. Then just add the vegetables you like the most. I usually add celery, corn, carrots, small amount of brown rice, green beans, cilantro, onions and whatever else I want to use up in the house. Very quick soup with a spicy bite.

No recipe as it is just the base that makes it so tasty. Especially since you can make it as thin or thick as you like.

Meat eaters can simply add chicken, turkey or perhaps pork.
  • marissalaloo
    Options
    Weight Watchers black bean soup....just omit the tomatoes
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you go to www.skinnytaste.com, there are a lot of great soups there, among other yummy recipies. Everyone that I have tried has been really good and easy.
  • marz1pan
    marz1pan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Creamy onion soup: http://livingitwrite.com/2011/07/13/mrs-weasleys-creamy-onion-soup/

So delicious, and low calorie, and from the Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I made turkey soup tonight and it was delicious!

Recipe:

32oz of low sodium chicken stock
    24 oz of water
    2 bags of frozen vegetables (I used carrots, potatoes, celery, onion and corn mix)
    2lbs of Turkey thighs/legs
    2TB of Canola oil
    Garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and Italian seasoning (NO salt - there's enough in the stock)

Preheat oven to 350F. Take a dutch oven (a pot you can put in the oven) and put oil in and heat on medium heat. Season the turkey with the seasonings and place in oil skin down. Brown both sides for 3-4 minutes a piece.

Add half of the stock and half of the water to pot, making sure to scrape up all that flavor on the bottom of the pot. Stick in oven for 1 1/2 hours.

Remove from oven, and put back on stove. Remove turkey from pot and once cool enough to handle, remove the skin and debone the meat. Add the frozen vegetables to the pot on stove and add the rest of the stock. At this time the stock will be cool enough to taste, add additional seasonings if needed.

Once the meat is off the bone, add it back into the pot. Cook on medium low for 40 minutes or until vegetables are done.

Enjoy!
  • kateparker1982
    Options
    I love the Hearty Minestrone in the South Beach Diet cookbook
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Egg Drop Soup:

Start with chicken broth, as much as you want. Thicken it very slightly wth some cornstarch mixed with a little cold water. You want the broth just a little thicker than 'broth.' Add some black pepper, ground ginger and soy sauce. I use low sodium soy sauce.If you use regular soy sauce, be careful, especially if your broth has salt, or you're using bullion cubes!!! Taste it. It should have a mild ginger taste, and the pepper should add just a hint of zip. Add a little at a time until you figure how you like it spiced. Then, wisk/stir in 2-3 lightly scrambled eggs, depending on how much broth you are using. Make sure you really stir until the eggs are cooked, maybe 15 seconds, or else they'll clump, and you'll have scrambled egg soup. Let simmer for a few minutes!

I usually serve this with homemade egg rolls and fried rice!
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I love soup but have a hard time finding recipes that don't use tomatoes or similar products as I suffer from acid reflux.
    Would love to try soups that don't consist of tomatoes products. If you have some please share, thanks.

Also, any quick lunch recipes would also be great.

Just made this one today:

Mushroom Soup
    Makes 3 servings of 150g (about 6 oz, i think) each

100g mushrooms
    30g onion
    5g green onion
    1 garlic clove
    1 T butter
    1 serving mashed potato mix
    1/2 beef bouillon cube and water (or any kind of broth)
    1/4c fat free greek yogurt
    A pinch of thyme, garlic salt, and red pepper flakes

Dice onions, green onions, and garlic and sautéed them in butter. Then add mushrooms (diced) and let it simmer for a bit. Then add water and use the mashed potato mix to thicken it. Blend the soup in a blender (but leave a little bit out if you like it chunky) with the yogurt and seasonings. Bring it back to the stove for just a few more minutes and you're done.

It was fantastic! Even my parent's liked it and they don't usually go for my "diet food" :P
  • RGonVSH
    RGonVSH Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for Mushroom-Buckwheat Groat soup on this website. It is tomato and dairy free as well as gluten free. I don't know how to share that link with you, but if you can tell me, I am happy to share the recipe.
  • AlexPflug
    AlexPflug Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You could try something like the Olive Garden Zuppa Tuscana soup. Here is one version online
    http://www.copykat.com/2009/03/29/olive-garden-zuppa-toscana-ii/

I was just about to post this!!! LOL It is soooo tasty, and since the base of the soup is bouillon and water, with a little cream added at the end, it shouldn't be too bad for your acid reflux, though you might want to change the sausage you use, since the one I make uses Italian sausage. Here's the link to the one I make:
    http://www.tuscanrecipes.com/recipes/olive-garden-zuppa-toscana.html
  • PattyfromToledo
    PattyfromToledo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Check out Giadas winter minestrone...its become my new favorite! it has chopped tomatos butam guessing you could eliminate them and it would be fine. go to a health food store and find pepsin foryour reflux....