Why Would You Keep Your Food Diary Private?

Options

Replies

• scribe313
    scribe313 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I definitely get the benefits to sharing my food diary... but I'm scared! I feel like that's something I'm working my way up to, and will probably open it up to the public within the next couple weeks. Just got to get that confidence up and really get used to this lifestyle change! Never been so open with my eating/dieting habits before. It's a lot to get used to!

I see where you are coming from. For me, I had a eating problem. I would after work go and buy a meal at a fast food joint, park away from people and scarf it down. Putting my diary as private too me is doing that, hiding. People you care about know what you eat on a daily basis why should a bunch of anonymous internet turds be a worry to you ?

I use to drive behind my building at work and eat a twenty piece wing because I didn't want anyone to know how much I was eating.
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I find knowing that other people can see what I eat motivates me to make better choices. . . . most of the time anyway.

this^^
  • sparkly96
    sparkly96 Posts: 120
    Options
    It's a matter of personal preference. I keep mine closed and dont find it difficult at all to be accountable for what i eat or dont eat. I have lost weight successfully before without anyone seeing my food journals and suggesting what i should or shouldnt eat. Keeping my diary closed works for me. Everyone on here is entitled to do what's right for them without being judged and questioning why people keep their diaries closed could be taken as a form of judgement. Why can't this topic just be left alone and let people be and do their own thing, just sayin...
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Why would I make it public?
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I consider my food diary just as private as my personal diary and I share neither with anyone. I'm hard enough on myself as it is, so I can do without the "help" from other people.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I have mine open to friends. I debated keeping it private..I'd find myself eating a lot of processed foods and less vegs. I was afraid of judgement. If your friends are getting on you, its because they care. :bigsmile:
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to my MFP friends. I see no reason to make it public.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    In short - I sometimes get too impressionable when I go through "episodes". I'd take any misinformed comments to heart and likely end up eating nothing again. Or trying something far stupider.
    I lose my sense of rational thought and self at times, and it's hard enough without extra people confusing me.
    No, privacy works for me. My fiance oversees me. I know a fair bit about nutrition and my body now, and while I know more than he does about these things, he knows when I'm not myself and therefore how to keep me physically well. It would be highly detrimental to both of us should I open it up to looky-loos and people who think they can "help" or that they know better.
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open to my MFT friends...if they wanna look, go ahead.
    the way I see it is, its MY diary and what I eat isnt going to affect anyone but ME. I have nothing to hide and I log EVERYTHING, I dont lie to myself about what I ate because in the end its MY DIARY. . now I did have to adjust my calories up by 100 calories because i saw an overage of 50-100 cal a day and It wasnt that i didnt want other people to see me overaging its that I felt i needed a more realistic goal. .
    For other people though, not everyone wants or needs their most intimate diaries read by other people. Maybe when they become more confident in themselves and the progress they are making they will open themselves to others. Until then, its not our place to judge. :flowerforyou:
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Mine's closed.

Case closed

:smokin: :noway: :smokin: :noway: :smokin:

Haha this made me laugh!
  • mrscruikshank
    mrscruikshank Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Personally I found that when my diary was public I tended to skip logging. Sometimes because I was going over. Other times I would just forget. I went almost 2 weeks without logging. As soon as I made it private again I stuck with it. I can't explain the reasoning. For the first time in my life I'm doing this for me and I just need to feel comfortable judging me. I am only accountable to myself. Keeping my diary private helps me do that. I share my ups and downs in statuses, messages and boards. But my tracking is for my own accountability.
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    I keep mine open to people I'm friends with on here, I just don't like keeping mine open to the public. I fear people I know finding me, and being able to see what I'm eating. Not that it's really anything to be ashamed of, I'm just a little paranoid. I know that sounds silly, but I have been found on here by people I know several times before, so it's something I can rightfully be paranoid about haha. Especially if it's work related someone's. I try to keep my e-life somewhat private for that purpose.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Honestly speaking - because its nobody's business. Im under the care of specialty physicians and they are the folks I answer to. I have a strict calorie restriction minimum and maximum that they have me following, along with a carbohydrate restriction.

I also will not comment on other folks' diaries unless they ask me to. Its not my place to assume that friending someone is a free-ticket to comment on anything....
  • aprildawn81
    aprildawn81 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    It's just a personal preference. I'm a naturally private person and I've seen people on here who have their diary open, get criticized about eating too much, not enough, etc. Not that I'm eating a ton of junk food but, I'm doing fine without sharing it.
  • OtakuEngineer
    Options
    Maybe if I had an issue losing weight and I thought it had something to do with diet and I was reaching out to the boards I would open it up.. but at the moment what I'm eating is working for me, and I don't really care to have anyone peeking into my food diary and offering up unsolicited advice.

Opening it up to everyone isn't a big "moment of facing the music" like some have written... I myself am the biggest music I have to face...

In short through, if I was looking for advice, I'd certainly open it up, otherwise I see no real reason to.
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private, because I don't feel like people need to know exactly what I consume. I mean everyone already knows my weight why do they need to know what I ate? I eat very healthy so I'm not hiding anything. I work at night so for breakfast I usually have salad and dinner is oatmeal which I sure would throw people off. I don't really look at anyone's diary unless they are stating they aren't making progress so then I peek to see if their food is the culprit otherwise I don't care what others eat and they shouldn't care what I eat. As long as I'm reaching my goals I don't think it matters.
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I keep mines open to friends...I personally could care less who sees it. I know I'm losing weight so really I don't care if someone wants to critique me...just saying...nobody ever comments on what I eat anyways so......
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed but looks good. It's not because I'm ashamed or anything. I just think it's a private thing. I've debated on opening it in the future when I've perhaps gained more confidence in myself. For now I'm cool with keeping my food to myself. I already have enough info about my diet and medications in my bio and I'm very active here so I think my friends realize I'm not sitting around eating cheesecake to meet my diary/dietary goals.

Kudos to those who have opened up and are willing to share.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, but personally if I wanted to close it, I would. It's no ones business what I eat.
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    for the same reason I dont have a facebook / myspace / twitter / etc account (and i have no profile picture or info). I dont think all that info needs to be out there for the world to see. There's a ton of data out there to be "mined", it really is called data mining in the nerd world. I know, i'm one of them. my eating habits aren't there for anyone but me. plus, i dont track everythign perfectly, i only add in things w/ real calories. i dont count my 20 calories worth of lettuce or bell peppers. it's too much effort for me.