Weight loss trouble while Breastfeeding

Options
2»

Replies

• Sytera
    Sytera Posts: 75
    Options
    Hello all,

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a quick question on this. I had my daughter exactly 4 weeks ago and I have been mostly breast feeding. I already dropped all the weight I gained while pregnant, which was almost 40 lbs. Is this healthy? Or should I be worried? 40 lbs in 4 weeks seems a lot to me and I'm afraid of getting the loose skin.

From the sound of it, you mean that you dropped 40 lbs since the morning you were last pregnant. A lot of that was obviously baby, placenta, etc. A lot of the rest was extra blood & water weight. You may still have some fat, too, as fat weighs less than muscle. My third is 6 months old and exclusively breastfed. I've lost all the weight but am still not the size I was because there is fat in places instead of muscle. At, 4 weeks, I wouldn't worry about anything. You still have a couple weeks before you should be hitting exercise hardcore anyway.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I dont think your eating enough calories. I am exclusively nursing my 5 month old, I weigh 184, Im 5 5 and eat roughly 2300 calories a day!!!!! I have lost all my baby weight plus about 15lbs.
    How old are you? How tall? Weight? How active are you? These are all factors in determining your BMR wich is the bare minimum number of calories your body needs just to function then you need more for nursing and exercising. My bare minimum is 1600 plus the 500 for nursing.
  • EJsMummy26
    EJsMummy26 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Every oz of breast milk has 25 calories. When I was nursing my son (if i pumped exclusively for a day) I'd get anywhere from 30-35 oz a day. Which means 750-875 calories was milk my body was producing.

So if you have any idea how much you produce, even a rough idea you will have an idea of how much you need to eat to keep your milk production up.

My lbs melted off of me when I was breastfeeding, I know it's not that way for everyone.
  • missfitp
    missfitp Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your input. I'm not sure how much milk I actually produce but I feel like a cow being milked every 3-4 hours. I'm 5'2 and I'm currently 216 lbs. Trying to now loose the pounds I had from before I was pregnant. I have heard of women saying that breast feeding helped them loose weight but I was skeptical. Now I think it's true. I feel like I'm shrinking faster than when I had my first one, whom I couldn't really breast feed.