Is this possible?

Options
I'm not sure what I was thinking. I guess I thought i needed a challenge. I signed up to do a 5K with some co-workers, but I HATE running. I only have 17 days left to train and I don't want to be left in the dust. Currently I can maintain a 5mph pace for about 4 minutes, then I recover for 2 minutes at 3mph, then bump it back up to 5mph. I can manage this for about 30 minutes. Is there hope for me?

-Pixie

Replies

• PixieFire
    PixieFire Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm not sure what I was thinking. I guess I thought i needed a challenge. I signed up to do a 5K with some co-workers, but I HATE running. I only have 17 days left to train and I don't want to be left in the dust. Currently I can maintain a 5mph pace for about 4 minutes, then I recover for 2 minutes at 3mph, then bump it back up to 5mph. I can manage this for about 30 minutes. Is there hope for me?

-Pixie
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    yes, there is hope for you!! :smile: Just keep being consistent with your training. It is ok to run/walk a 5k. I also suggest you get outside and run as it is different than running on a treadmill. You can do this. Good Luck. :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!! That is a great incentive to continue exercising. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: to many more 5Ks!!!! Let us know how you did!! :flowerforyou:
  • PixieFire
    Options
    Well thank you for the encouragement! I do know that it is okay to walk/run a 5k, but i would rather run the whole thing if i can. I also do plan on getting outside and off the treadmill because i do realize it is different. My problem is my pace. When i get outside I tend to run faster than i should and wear myself out in no time. With the treadmill I stay at a steady pace. Do you all think i'm on the right track? Should I be doing anything differently? And yes, I sure will let you know how i do.

-Pixie
  • PixieFire
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm bumping this because i'm wondering if anyone else has advice for me. Should I increase my total time jogging/walking or just decrease my walking time? Thanks!

-Pixie
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Do you know what route your 5K will be taking? If so, perhaps you could go "walk the course" (which is something we'd do in cross country in high school prior to running the race) and see the terrain, etc. Then, perhaps you could even "train" on the course and know where you can walk and where you can run.

Hope this helps!
    Deborah
  • Cariñosita
    Cariñosita Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K last summer. A little motivational point....for some reason, it seems easier to run outside. You do have time to do it, but you'll have to push yourself. When you are running, run until you feel like you can't run anymore. Then, run 10 more seconds. Then, walk until you feel like you can run a little more. Increase your time that you push past the "breaking point" a little every couple of days. And in the beginning, really focus on your breathing. Slow breaths in through your nose, out through your mouth. Good Luck!!
  • PixieFire
    Options
    Thank you Deborah! That is something I didn't think of. I don't have a car, so it would not be practical for me to train on the course, but i can go and check it out. I think that might boost my confidence. Or maybe not...:blushing: Your doggies are really cute!
  • stratdl
    Options
    Good luck checking out the course and thanks for the compliment on the two doggies you see here. :blushing: I have two more that are not online ...yet.

Just think about the 5K being something that you probably wouldn't even have thought of doing a year ago and here you are--just participating!!! That's HUGE and I hope that you remember to keep that in mind! :flowerforyou:
  • PixieFire
    Options
    I ran my first 5K last summer. A little motivational point....for some reason, it seems easier to run outside. You do have time to do it, but you'll have to push yourself. When you are running, run until you feel like you can't run anymore. Then, run 10 more seconds. Then, walk until you feel like you can run a little more. Increase your time that you push past the "breaking point" a little every couple of days. And in the beginning, really focus on your breathing. Slow breaths in through your nose, out through your mouth. Good Luck!!

Thank you! You look great by the way. How do you pace yourself outside? Yes, Breathing is a challenge for me, I need to slow it down!
  • PixieFire
    Options
    Deborah, you can check out my two doggies on my profile!
  • llmgold11
    llmgold11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So on May 16th I'm doing my 1st 5k since high school--8 years ago! I'm doing it with a friend of mine who has run several 5k's and is currently training for a flippin triathlon...punishment in my book. Just set your own pace--if they mosey on ahead then so be it. If you can't run the entire thing--so be it. Just do what you can and push when you don't think you have anything left. If you have run/walk the entire thing--whatever, but just finishing should be a great goal to start with. Maybe by the end of summer you will be keeping up with the best of them. I have 3 or 4 more 5k's planned by the end of summer and each one has a different goal.

I've also seen a few posts on here about the couch potato to 5k thing and heard nothing but positive reviews...although I believe it takes about 6 weeks or longer to get you into that shape.

Good luck!
  • stratdl
    Options
    Deborah, you can check out my two doggies on my profile!

Aw, they're so cute! And they look well-behaved, too. Unlike my little beasties (naughty puppy was whining all yesterday afternoon/evening and this morning, too! :grumble: ).

I'll work on getting some more pics up of my pups.

...as far as the 5K thing goes, I like llmgold11's idea. I looked at the couch to 5K program the other day--I think it may be helpful.
  • PixieFire
    Options
    Thank you ALL so much! 16 days left! Time to hit the treadmill!