Do smaller people burn fewer calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    How do I get the picture that everyone has saying how many more pounds they have to go?

At the top of this page, click on "Settings." Then put a check by "Show your MyFitnessPal ticker below each of your forum posts."
  • minigirl2
    minigirl2 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    While I like being 5'3" and compact, it SUCKS how little I am able to eat and not gain weight.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I think it's really down to weight rather than height but the answer would still be the same. So yeah, someone shorter would burn fewer calories but if someone who is 5'2" and 5'6" weighed the same and did the same exercise they would burn the same.

Provided that they have the same heart rate, probably... but then I wonder--why does an HRM as your height if it's inconsequential to the burn?
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I don't know about HRMs, but the database here doesn't take into account height. I changed my height from 6'6" to 5' and 10 minutes of "Jumping Rope, Fast" stayed 207 calories. I'd try changing from male to female, but the system would probably send a message to all my MFP friends saying I'd had a sex change operation!
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I think it's really down to weight rather than height but the answer would still be the same. So yeah, someone shorter would burn fewer calories but if someone who is 5'2" and 5'6" weighed the same and did the same exercise they would burn the same.

Provided that they have the same heart rate, probably... but then I wonder--why does an HRM as your height if it's inconsequential to the burn?

Well height needs to be comparable, someone at 12 stone and 5'10" wouldn't be considered overweight where as someone 5' and 12 stone would be so there body would be different. But in the general calories burnt height vs weight the biggest factor would be weight not height - height would only factor as someone taller would weigh more.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I don't know about HRMs, but the database here doesn't take into account height. I changed my height from 6'6" to 5' and 10 minutes of "Jumping Rope, Fast" stayed 207 calories. I'd try changing from male to female, but the system would probably send a message to all my MFP friends saying I'd had a sex change operation!

A Calorie is a measure of energy. It takes energy to move mass, mass is mass regardless of it's shape or density. (This is why height is not a factor). Weight = Mass. More weight moved = more calories burned. There are some other things like HR and intensity (speed) that may make a difference, but it's not anymore complicated than this.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    im tall but pretty skinny. i dont burn that many calories at rest or during exercise. firstly at rest because my heart dosent have to work as hard as it would if i was bigger, and secondly im quite fit so i have to work harder for the same burnnnnn