RUNNERS...I need ALL the advice you can give me!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    For me running is a lot mental, a little physcial. I have been using the C25k as well. I'm in the middle of week 5 and there is a big jump. So I have to not psych myself out. Maybe your breathing is like that? I breath in through my nose, and out through my mouth. I try to breath out for as long as possible and find that it helps. I also don't go at a fast pace yet. I would definitely recommend C25K. :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Not advice as such, but I'll teach you the runner's prayer:

God, if you'll pick 'em up, I'll put 'em down.

Enjoy!
  • danihonline
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, there are some great apps to get you building up your running endurance. I use an app called Run Training, they have couch to 5K, couch to 10K, half marathon and full marathon training programs. It tells you when to run and when to walk and slowly builds up the time, the distance will come with practice.

Good luck!
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    If you have a running room in your area, start by taking some of their running courses.

Don't try to do 30 minutes straight right off the bat. Start by doing 2 minute spurts, then walk for 1 minute, and do that for a half hour. If that's too easy, move it up to 3-5 minutes, and walking 1 minute. Keep adding time. Before you can properly do any sort of anaerobic activity (wherin lactic acid builds up and you essentially burn EVERYWHERE upon completion) you need an aerobic base. This means your cardiovascular system needs to be up to par (for lack of a better way to explain) before you can go for gold!
    So don't try to do any hardcore intervals yet, or really tough cross-fit style training. Stick with doing easy running, where you're just pushing your body a little past its comfort zone (where you're working, sweating, and breathing at a level that doesn't feel good) before you step it up. Do this for the first few weeks before gradually adding distance, and a faster pace. Once you can run at a semi-comfortable pace for a straight half-hour or so, try moving into some sprint intervals, and cross-fit style training.
    NEVER over-do your workouts. There is a difference between pushing yourself, and pushing yourself too far! If you push TOO FAR, you will be injured, and an injury will take you out of the game. Quite often people who are just starting to run, or weight-train will go too fast or lift too much. If you injure yourself, especially at the beginning of a new exercise regimen, you will set yourself back to square-one because you'll have to break from training for a couple weeks or potentially more simply to heal enough to begin training again. Slow and steady wins the race! The best exercise for building cardiovascular strength is most certainly high-speed interval training, however you can't just jump into it, you need a base to work off of first. Build that aerobic base first, then move into the difficult stuff.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You really have to build up to running.. If you are used to walking, start with 4 minutes walking, 1 minute running, after a few sessions of that start ti increase the running and decrease the walking time each time you try it

Week 1: 4 mins walking, 1 min running (repeat)
    Week 2: 3 mins walking 2 minutes running (repeat)
    Week 3: 2 Minutes walking, 3 minute running (repeat)
    Week 4: 1 minute walking, 4 minutes running (repeat)
    Then increase your running time but continue with 1 minute walk intervals until you can make it to 10 minutes running, 1 minute walking intervals.

That's a good way to get started and get your body adjusted to running over walking.

Good luck!
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I use the UK NHS c25k plan. http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx

If you're getting winded...run slower. If you're still getting winded...run slower. You should be able to hold a conversation while running or you're going too fast. Don't worry if your run speed is slower than your walk to start - you're just trying to get your body used to running and the pace can come later.

Try breathing on a 4-step cycle - in for 4 steps, out for 4 steps. Keep your head up and relax. Repeat any c25k runs that you find too difficult. Above all, don't give up!

I'm on week 8 now and running continuously for 28 minutes. There is no way I'd be able to do that without the c25k program and the advice I got here which I have repeated above. You just have to believe that if you follow the program it will work. It has already worked for thousands of runners - it will work for you too!

Good luck!
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Another great program to follow is Hal Higdon's. I googled it and found his novice program for free. This program includes strength stretching and cross training so you're only running 3x a week and doing other types of exercise to build your strength and stamina on the non-running days. It keeps me from getting bored!
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great program to use it works on interval training which helps with stamina. If you don't have a smart phone just use your watch start off by running a min and walking 2 for 30 min. Then increase your time running by 2x the next week and increase your walking time by 30 sec until you get to 3 min walking then start decreasing your walking time. Eventually you'll be fine. Pace is very important don't start out to fast keep it steady, speed will. One eventually. Just remember wether its a 15 min mile or a 7 min mile it's still a mile. Hope this helps. I'm always looking for running friends new or experienced so feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Forget "in through the nose out through the mouth", that's for Zen meditation, not for running.

It's almost impossible to breath wrong but I suppose it can be done. Just make sure you are breathing deeply. By that I mean you should be "belly breathing". Completely inhale and exhale and don't worry too much about it.

You'll be fine just keep after it.
  • frilly7483
    frilly7483 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but hope ne day to be. My brother has done it from couch potato to marathons and ironman races (madness). He started off at out local begginers running club, doing Fartleks: 30 sec walk, 30 sec jog for 20 mmins, x3 times a week, then increase it to 1 min jog, 1 min walk; 1 min jog, 30 sec walk etc.etc.etc they say that after 5 weeks of being religious at following, you could run a 5k (that's actually how they end the 5 week training program!) I plan to join this running club when I have my confidence up, I'm likely to trip up and break something at the moment!

Good luck :)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm reading some things, and I have to say something, because I hear similar things from my friends about working out. It might sound a little bit harsh, but it's not intended that way.

You really have to not be wimpy, and just sort of think of yourself as a badass, and get over it.

OK, I said it. But, it's true. Working out, no matter what you are doing, should be hard. It should be difficult. You should struggle and it should be difficult. Otherwise, you're not really working out.

I'm going to say something else that might seem a bit cruel, but again, it's not meant that way, it just is what it is. Walking is not working out. I think it's great that people are moving. And, with the way I run, I can feel my feet and knees giving out, and one day, I'm not going to be able to do this anymore, and I'll probably be a walker. So, I'm not saying it's totally bad, but it isn't really a workout, per se. It's just walking. Walking is easy and anyone can do it. Running takes more effort. Yes, you'll be out of breath. Yes, it will be hard. You might even break a sweat...OMG!

OK, that's all kind of giving you a hard time. But, seriously, working out is supposed to be hard. LOL. If you've ever worked out with a trainer, they'll kick your freaking @$$. That's why people go to them. And, the good ones push you past where you would normally stop. That's a good thing. Again, that's why people hire trainers.

So, be a badass. Get out there. Push yourself. Sweat. Breathe hard. Make that body work!
  • tebumgarner
    Options
    Number one tip I always give new runner is to slow down! When I first started running, I thought it was some sort of weakness to walk. What I didn't figure out until I got a GPS watch is that I had to walk because I was going way too fast. I slowed down, and my runs got much longer. Speed will come later. If you get to the point where you want to stop or can't breath, you definitely went out too fast. That's how you should feel at the end of a race, not during a workout run.

Good luck! Running is a great burn!
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I started running last year and since I have completed 5km / 10km and 1/2 marathons

Start off small in 5 min intervals for 30 min:

1 min run - 4 min walk
    1.5 min run - 3.5 min walk
    2 min run - 3 min walk

and so on until you can run 30 min without stopping.

Set yourself goals, ie.. book yourself on a 5km race (Race for life is great as lots of people) and have something to aim for.
    I am doing the same at the moment as I have just come back from injury and have a 10km race booked for 25th Mar and a 1/2 marathon in Sept.

Good luck
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I didn't see this and it helps me alot. When you are breathing exhale when you step down on your left foot. When I do this I don't get the stitch in my side (that we all know is extremely painful). It takes a while to get the rhythm but once you do the pain goes away. My daughter (12 years old) enjoys running and runs with me and a track and field group in town. I taught her this technique and she never gets a stitch in her side so she is now teaching her running partners this.

Also, enjoy running outside when you can. Nothing beats the feeling of seeing how far you've run on a map.

Good luck.
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options

You really have to not be wimpy, and just sort of think of yourself as a badass, and get over it.

So, be a badass. Get out there. Push yourself. Sweat. Breathe hard. Make that body work!

I agree with this. I used to hate running in high school but have actually grown to love it. Take it slow. I average a 12 minute mile or 5mph and can easily run 3 miles in 36 minutes without being winded at all. Breathe in deep from your gut. It takes time to build endurance so each time you run try going a little further each time. When you can run a mile try pushing for a mile and a quarter or a mile and a half. When you feel like your legs are going to fall off push just a little harder. Before you know it you will be able to run a few miles at a time with no problem.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I don't know if someone has already said this but I would add to get a good pair of running shoes and running socks. I used the aero socks (which are kind of pricey) but I don't want to worry about my feet or ankles getting really sore while running. I also agree with starting slow. A lot of people start out running at about a 8 minute mile pace and they cannot maintain that for more than a few minutes because they have not built up their stamina. It is better to slow it down a bit and run longer so you can build endurance. Once that starts to feel easy then you can slowly start to speed up.

Here is what I do when preparing for a race. I run more miles when I don't have a head wind or extreme temperatures. I run outside if at all possible because I don't pay attention on a treadmill and don't work very hard.

Week 1: Running 12 minute miles, Run 2-4 miles every other day.
    Week 2: Running 11 minute miles, Run 3-5 miles every other day.
    Week 3: Running 10 minute miles, Run 2-4 miles every other day.
    Week 4: Running 9 minute miles, Run 3-5 miles every other day.
    Week 5: Running 8 minute miles, Run 2-4 miles every other day.
    Week 6: Running 8 minute miles, Run 3-5 miles every other day.

I have a hard time dropping below 8 minute miles so I have added in strength on my days off from cardio so hopefully, I can drop down to below 8 minutes per mile. The minutes per mile is an average. I tend to be a slow starter strong finisher, so my last mile or two are typically faster than my first mile or two.
  • scentexpress
    Options
    Not advice as such, but I'll teach you the runner's prayer:

God, if you'll pick 'em up, I'll put 'em down.

Enjoy!

I absolutely love it! Feel free to add me & share your wisdom...I'll need all the prayers & mantra's I can get. Thank you. :wink:
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I started jogging a few months ago.....modifying the Cto5K....but was running on soft/grassy surface. I was excited to be able to jog a little. The first time I ran on pavement I hurt my heel and it has not healed yet. I'm hoping to see a podiatrist soon......I fear I have a fracture.....so, I'm not done well at it. Hope you all fair better than I did.
  • scentexpress
    Options
    I'm reading some things, and I have to say something, because I hear similar things from my friends about working out. It might sound a little bit harsh, but it's not intended that way.

OK, I said it. But, it's true. Working out, no matter what you are doing, should be hard. It should be difficult. You should struggle and it should be difficult. Otherwise, you're not really working out.

Not offended at all & you are absolutely 100% correct. I wouldn't be where I am now if I had continued to allow myself to be a slacker, a victim or a wimp. I am so determined to un-do & re-do, overhaul, recondition & reprogram my entire way of living & my attitude about health & fitness. Thank you for your candid advice!

I'm determined to figure this out & build my endurance & stamina but I think the mental block has been holding me back. As some of the others have mentioned hitting the wall, I know for a fact that I have not been pushing myself. Not sure if it's fear or what, but I think I kind of panic when I can't catch my breath & my throat is dry & burning from sucking in air. So yeah, I guess I kind of have been wimping out. :wink: However, each time I stop I realize I could have probably pushed beyond it.

I've definitely got some things to work on, but I assure you that I will work on them... thanks so much for the advice. Time to go channel my inner 'badass'!!! :happy:
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options

I'm going to say something else that might seem a bit cruel, but again, it's not meant that way, it just is what it is. Walking is not working out. I think it's great that people are moving. And, with the way I run, I can feel my feet and knees giving out, and one day, I'm not going to be able to do this anymore, and I'll probably be a walker. So, I'm not saying it's totally bad, but it isn't really a workout, per se. It's just walking. Walking is easy and anyone can do it. Running takes more effort. Yes, you'll be out of breath. Yes, it will be hard. You might even break a sweat...OMG!

I have to disagree with you. As someone who has helped plan a large walking marathon event for the last six years, walking is most certainly working out. It is an inspiration every year to see the life changes that occur when people make a commitment and complete a walking marathon. It is exercise, it just is a lower intensity, and lets be honest lots of people can't run because of knee or other joint problems.

I applaude anyone taking the time and giving the effort to exercise, whatever form they choose.