Net Calories say what?

Options
I was following a thread and totally got lost when they started talking about NET vs. GROSS calories.

Went to the reports section on MFP for nutrition and it has a little graph showing net calories only I have no idea what that means? Since I'm stuck....I'm trying to figure out why....I literally am embarrassed that my ticker hasn't moved in MONTHS!

It feels hopeless just like how I felt BEFORE I lost the 33lbs. Burning out...big time...

Replies

• lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    I was following a thread and totally got lost when they started talking about NET vs. GROSS calories.

Went to the reports section on MFP for nutrition and it has a little graph showing net calories only I have no idea what that means? Since I'm stuck....I'm trying to figure out why....I literally am embarrassed that my ticker hasn't moved in MONTHS!

It feels hopeless just like how I felt BEFORE I lost the 33lbs. Burning out...big time...
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I know, it's confusing, but it means that your net calories is what you've eaten in a day MINUS your exercise calories. So if you ate 2000 calories and exercised off 500, your net calories are 1500 for the day.

The reason it's important is that if you go under 1200 net calories there's a good chance you'll put your body in starvation mode and not lose weight, and gain weight easily. This isn't a hard and fast rule for every single person but it's true in most cases. Usually smaller people, short and without much weight to lose, may be the exception.

I learned this the hard way as I was eating 1800 calories a day (my allotment) and exercising 900 calories a day, and was exhausted, cold all the time, felt like crap... well because my net calories were 900 calories and my body wasn't getting enough fuel to get thru the day! And I'm a large person, so that surprised me, but as soon as I started eating back most of my exercise cals I started losing weight fast again and feel fine!
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options
    Gross calories are the total calories, where net calories are what is left. You have lost 33 lbs, and you're frustrated? Look what you have accomplished...The last few pounds are the hardest to loose , you might need to up your caloric intake, and change up your exercise, confuse your body some. You're almost there...be proud of yourself, find renewed confidence in yourself by knowing that you can accomplish so much, as you have in the past...your weight gain, as mine, didn't happen overnight, and it won't disappear overnight either. You are worth it, don't ever doubt that. Best to you always, Rick
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Net Calories say what?
    OMGosh, do you or your children watch Hannah Montana, because my little brother does and he says "XXXX Say What?" all the time!! :laugh:
  • lenmana
    Options
    Net Calories say what?
    OMGosh, do you or your children watch Hannah Montana, because my little brother does and he says "XXXX Say What?" all the time!! :laugh:

I don't have kids, but I teach elementary so that's probably where I get it from! LOL! Oh, and "Snap"...another one of my favorite words :()
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    Great question...this confuses me because I dont see a 2lb loss each week as I set up in my goal. However, I am losing 1lb per week. So there must be something more to it.
  • lenmana
    Options
    Okay, so I went back and looked at the report after what you all wrote. According to the graph, I had 3 days this week that my NET CALORIES were under 1200.

Basically, my drill is stay within 1220 calories....I exercise around 250 calories off...which I think "YEAH, that lets me eat around 1400 sometimes 1500 calories".

(This is a new routine I used to do MW-55 min. step class, T/TH 55 min strength) Now I've been trying to increase speed and intensity...thought changing those variables might work.

Monday - 20 min elliptical (cranking it) , walk dogs 30 min
    Tues.-55 min. strength class, walk dogs 30 min
    Wed. 20 min elliptical (cranking it), walk dogs 30 min.
    Thurs.-don't work out or I manage to make it to another 55 min. strength class.
    Fri.-20 to 30 min. on elliptical (cranking it) and walk dogs 30 min.

I'm 5 feet and 156lbs. My mini goal is 150 with MY HOPE being to get down to around 140.