How would you grade your food diary?

Options
2»

Replies

• sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Blimey, your achievement is amazing! You could definitely inspire people to eat healthily! I am going to try and get that book from the library.
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    I'd say B. I've been reading the YOU: books (On a Diet, Staying Young) and a book called Anticancer (recommended by my aunt's nutitionist, my aunt's recovering from Ovarian cancer). These books have persuaded me to choose non-processed foods as much as possible. I figure -- if stay within my calorie guidelines & log everything, choosing well 80% of the time is a good place to be.

If your into reading about nutrition, I recommend the China Study by Dr Colin T Campbell. One of the most compelling books I've ever read.

I meant this about the book!
  • addykins1
    addykins1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I dont eat processed food at all, so for clean eating I'd give myself an A, but I miss meals and chronically under eat and have macro issues so I would grade my food diary an F, no wonder I suck at gaining weight
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I'd say B. I've been reading the YOU: books (On a Diet, Staying Young) and a book called Anticancer (recommended by my aunt's nutitionist, my aunt's recovering from Ovarian cancer). These books have persuaded me to choose non-processed foods as much as possible. I figure -- if stay within my calorie guidelines & log everything, choosing well 80% of the time is a good place to be.

If your into reading about nutrition, I recommend the China Study by Dr Colin T Campbell. One of the most compelling books I've ever read.

My favorite nutrition read is called the Jungle Effect by Daphne Miller. An amazing book about how the combinations of food in certain "native" cuisines prevent diseases. It isn't just that eating let's say "greens" is good for you. But since the Mediterranean diet consists of greens, lemon juice and olive oil in the same meal, that is what makes the difference. For example, we know that vitamin c helps you process iron. And adding fat helps you process vitamin k in kale. And the fat (and the acid) reduce the bitterness in the greens so it is easier to eat.

Another example is the traditional mexican diet. There are a few ethnic groups in Mexico with really low rates of diabetes, and other genetically similar groups with high rates. The ones with low rates eat the "3 sisters" all the time -- squash, beans and corn. Corn Tortillas are a great example of a whole grain processed in the right way. The special limes used when the corn is stone ground releases the calcium in the corn and other vitamins. So stone ground corn tortillas are high in fiber and calcium.

Anyway, the rest of the book talks about colon disease, breast cancer and depression. The books gives you instructions and recipes ranging from east to harder using regular ingredients to incorporate these techniques in your diet. Amazing book.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'd say I have an "A" since I do eat healthy most of the time and cook from scratch.

Not sure what "clean" eating means but I took it as healthy :)

I definitely haven't eaten anything dirty :laugh:

Clean = natural state, not processed, etc.

Thanks! Yeah, hardly any processed food ...