Miss Universe Australia model too skinny?

Options
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30364743/?GT1=43001

Is there even any question?
:noway: :sick: :noway:

Replies

• FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30364743/?GT1=43001

Is there even any question?
    :noway: :sick: :noway:
  • wmcnicol
    wmcnicol Posts: 144
    Options
    gross!!!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh....I saw the headline, but didn't read it.

She looks terrible.....she's a beautiful girl...wth is she thinking?
  • eshwok45
    eshwok45 Posts: 21
    Options
    In the exact words of my boyfriend, "too skinny? she should be dead."

It's completely mind boggling to me. And also, very sad.
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Naumoska was unavailable for comment and in rehearsals for tonight's event, but pageant director Deborah Miller reacted sharply to the suggestion she looked unhealthy. "This girl has Macedonian heritage and if you have been there you would know it is a Macedonian body type,'' she said.

well, umm, i lived close to the Macedonian border and seen so many real Macedonians, they are short, big-boned and big-bummed, never seen anyone like her, IMO there is something very wrong with her to look like this :noway:
  • K2T4e2n6
    K2T4e2n6 Posts: 50
    Options
    I saw that today as well. Doctors are throwing a fit about it. The pageant director tried to disclaim it saying she (Miss Australia) had Macedonian heritage thus explaining her long, (super) thin body and compared it to how most Asians are petite. A nutritionist stated " there is no such thing as a Macedonian body type".
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    It's so sad that the modeling industry and pagents promote this type of unhealthy behavior.
    Girls and young women starving themselves to work and perform. And all the ones who want to be like them.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    UGH, I don't know why anyone would want to look like that, not me. :sick:
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Wow.... I thought these pagents were trying to promote a better image lately after so much bad press..... they really should have a BMI cut off
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Will someone get this girl a cheeseburger please!!!
  • in_to_win
    in_to_win Posts: 17
    Options
    Everyone has their battle whether it be drinking, drugs, food, etc. We don't know her story. We don't know her history. I think it's just as bad to call someone "disgusting" for being so skinny as it is to call someone disgusting for being overweight.
  • heather93277
    Options
    OK here's a quote from there: Health professionals said Naumoska, who is 1.8 m (5 ft 11 in) tall and weighs just 49 kg (108 lbs), had a body mass index of just 15.1, well under the official 18 benchmark for malnutrition.

I'm 5'11" and weighed 127 lbs. when I got married 12+ years ago... even at that weight, I felt way too skinny. I can't imagine 20 lbs. less than that!! :noway: I never, ever want to be anywhere near that weight again. I'm happy that I have curves now and some muscle!! (which is why my goal is at a healthy 160!)

If she doesn't think she is too thin, she needs some help. Seriously. :indifferent:
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their battle whether it be drinking, drugs, food, etc. We don't know her story. We don't know her history. I think it's just as bad to call someone "disgusting" for being so skinny as it is to call someone disgusting for being overweight.

Very true.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    yuck! She looks very un-healthy.

090423-skinnymodel-vlrg-830a.widec.jpg

Pretty girl, hope she gets some help.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    She is WAY too thin and bony. Apart from her hair, she doesn't look womanly at all.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    090423-skinnymodel-vlrg-830a.widec.jpg

I feel sorry for her. She has a beautiful face but is obviously too thin. Whether it's an eating disorder or a purposeful weight for trying to win the pageant, I hope she is able to get back to a healthy weight. Being underweight is just as dangerous as being overweight to internal organs.
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    I know, I just feel badly for her. She really does look like a holocaust victim. The thing that concerns me the most about this is that there must be a lot of people telling her how good she looks, or she wouldn't be there representing beauty for an entire country. I just hope that somebody gets this girl some help.

As far as not judging her because of her weight...I think this is beyond being too skinny...this is somebody who looks like they are about to drop over dead. Concern, disgust, and shock should really be our only response to seeing somebody so badly malnourished. The picture just makes me horribly uncomfortable.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I know, I just feel badly for her. She really does look like a holocaust victim. The thing that concerns me the most about this is that there must be a lot of people telling her how good she looks, or she wouldn't be there representing beauty for an entire country. I just hope that somebody gets this girl some help.

As far as not judging her because of her weight...I think this is beyond being too skinny...this is somebody who looks like they are about to drop over dead. Concern, disgust, and shock should really be our only response to seeing somebody so badly malnourished. The picture just makes me horribly uncomfortable.

And she's the kind of role model that the pro-ana girls look for for their validation. I think giving her the crown sends out a bad message for young girls. :explode: