Dinner for Boyfriend -- Easy Recipe Ideas Please

Options
STurbs33
STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
I haven't seen my boyfriend in a month and he's coming home tonight. As a surprise, I figured that I would cook him dinner. I really don't have much experience with cooking. Since I live at home, my mom does majority of the cooking. (I'll openly admit that I'm spoiled in this way). I've always wanted to cook him dinner, because it's a cute idea and partly because he's always joking with me that I "can't cook" and I want to prove him wrong.

I want something easy, tasty, healthy. etc. and preferably something with chicken. I've been looking up recipes all day, but I thought that I'd come here to get some first-hand opinions.

Replies

• bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'd go for a pasta base - pasta is always delicious. Get a great sauce from the store and he doesn't need to know it isn't from scratch. Since your mom cooks a lot, she'd probably have some good suggestions. If you have a george foreman, that stuff can make Chicken like nobody's business. It's also nice to just roast it in the oven (look up specific temps and length depending on how much/what kind of chicken). Steam some veggies and whip up a salad and you're good to go!

What a fun idea. :)
  • kdrew1
    kdrew1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This is a must try! http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/08/guiltless-alfredo-sauce/
    My husband loves it and says its better than any normal alfredo sauce. Serve it w/ whole grain pasta and broccoli and you have a lovely meal!

Another awesome thing about this recipe: it is even better the next day! There is only 1 tb of butter in it so it doesn't separate the way normal sauce does.

Highly recommend it!
  • Justice96
    Options
    This recipe for Lemon Chicken is delicious and moist :)
    Ingredients
    - 4 Boneless skinless chicken breast
    - 1/3 or 1/2 cup of lemon juice depending on how much lemon flavour you like. ( Add the rind )
    - 2 tbsp of dried oregano
    -1/2 cup chopped onion
    - salt and pepper to taste

Get a ziplock bag and add everything listed, marinate for 2-3 hours.
    Preheat your oven to 350`, Get a glass dish and transfer everything in the bag to the dish, discard the lemon rind if added, coverwith tin foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove tinfoil, flip chicken and bake for 30 minutes.

Here is a Greek Salad recipe to go with your chicken.
    Ingredients
    -Baby spinach leaves
    -Chopped cucumber
    -Chopped red and yellow pepper
    -Chopped red onion
    - Feta cheese
    After you`ve chopped everything and crumbled your feta , add it into a bowl and toss with Kraft Greek Feta and Oregano salad dressing.
  • alyssaanagram
    Options
    Chicken parm is always yummy and one of my favorites! Very easy to make from scratch too - get some chicken breast, Italian seasoned bread crumbs, eggs (or egg whites), canned tomato, and reg or low fat mozzarella sprinkled on top! You can pair it with steamed veggies easily and put some rolls out if he wants to turn it into a sandwich.
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think that there is nothing more impressive or delicious than a whole roasted chicken. Here is a great recipe for that:

http://www.tastespotting.com/features/thomas-kellers-simple-roast-chicken-recipe

Throw some veggies in the roasting pan or steam them seperately and you are good to go.

If you want to make mashed potatoes to go with it and like super creamy mashed potatoes check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84i8Qdnyd0k

It completely changed the way I make mashed potatoes.
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the replies. I'm still undecided, but these are all great ideas and I'm sure I'll end up using one of them!
  • kbrob14
    kbrob14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump!