Motivation to exercise

Options
Hey,

I have started my new lifestyle changes, part of which is increasing exercising.

I now do Zumba each Tuesday night, Swimming for an hour every Wednesday and a long walk with the dog on Sunday.

i'm also generally more active at work running up and down stairs etc and I just kinda move more.

I just need to motivate myself to exercise when i'm at home. I have an at-home gym (nice treadmill, mirrored wall for dancing, lots of space, mini trampoline, step machine, Pilates ball) but i just cant seem to get my butt in there!!

Do other people find it hard to motivate themselves when its not "formal" exercise and you're just at home after work?

I'd like to know how these non-exercisers came to do and actually enjoy exercise?

Hope you're all happy and healthy!

Love Lindsey1985x

Replies

• awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Well, for me, my situation might be a little different because I don't know if you have kids or not. I have 3 boys ages 7, 6, and 9 months so it is challenging at times, but I seem to find the time. I primarily do Wii Fit Plus just because I can those exercises when my kids are downstairs with me. Believe me, I know what you mean because I have a nice treadmill and eliptical and I rarely use them. I don't get as much enjoyment out of them at home as I do at the gym. I don't have the time to run to the gym a few days a week, so once I got in a routine for using my Wii Fit Plus, it is a normal part of my day. What I am saying is that once you get into a workout routine with your home gym, hopefully it will be a lot easier for you. Feel free to add me if you want. I can try to keep you motivated while I motivate myself!!:wink:
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I had difficulty in the past but I really reached a point where I just couldn't stand being the size I was for a second longer. I guess it was like a rock bottom. When I reached that mental low, I found my motivation. I'd say the first two weeks are the hardest because you're not used to doing it but for me it seems like habit now and I've only been at this for 2 months.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I do find it hard to find motivation to exercise. I love it once I get started, but getting started is the hardest part for me! I do better when I exercise early in the morning, it makes my whole day go better. Right now I'm doing daycare for my nephews so we walk the oldest to school, it's only 15-20 minutes, but great way to get the blood pumping! :)
  • arctiknitter
    arctiknitter Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. After awhile it becomes a habit and you will have a hard time breaking your exercise habit! I do 30DS at home and walk my dogs daily and it took awhile to get to the point where I really HAVE to do the exercises or I can't stand myself!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    2 ideas: The way I motivate myself - goals. I have a goal of 280 minutes per week - and log it in a spreadsheet. You can use a calendar - put a "smiley" face sticker on it for each day you exercised. It sounds silly, buy anything you can do to build up consistancy is a good thing.

Make it fun. Mini trampolines - (I totally want one). You can do bootcamp, kickboxing, hip hop dance, LOTS of different stuff. Check out "Urban Rebounding" exercise videos. Youtube will have some free videos. Switch things up.

There are treadmill videos! Tracey Staehle videos incorporate intervals, lunges, and weights. There are also lots of "scenic" videos. Take a walk thru ..... wherever. Anyway collagevideo.com will have video clips & reviews of various exercise DVDs.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Honestly I am SO jealous that you have an in-home gym. I schedule my workouts right into my planner. I work out at night because that is what works with my schedule. I put my son to bed & either use the treadmill or an on-demand video.

On nice weekends I take my son out for walks in with his wagon or jobs with his stroller. We both love getting out & getting the fresh air.

Just find out works best for you once you get into a routine it will just become natural.
  • Jojo1859
    Jojo1859 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think my biggest motivation to do something at home is having someone who keeps me on track. I feel resistance all the time and I just don't want to exercise, but my boyfriend is on his on weight loss fitness challenge so we check up on each other almost every day to see how things are going. I always want to give him a good report, so when I don't want to get up and exercise I think about that disappoint look on his face when I say I haven't done anything yet. For you this might not be a boyfriend. It could be a friend or family member that you check in with on a regular basis. It really helps me.:smile:
  • waferzdog
    Options
    I can wait to see what you get as responses. I'm in the same boat.
  • heleflump
    Options
    I do what I love - put on my favourite tracks and boogie on down - look a complete fool no doubt - but gets your heart rate up and I feel soooooo good (helps that it's usually 60's soul, motown, Abba or good old fashioned disco!!) I think we should all meet up for a cyber boogie every evening at 6.00pm - half an hour of dancing knowing that others are joining in and thousand of nrighbours all over the world are staring bemusedly through lounge and kitchen windows everywhere!!!! Who's with me???? :bigsmile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I do what I love - put on my favourite tracks and boogie on down - look a complete fool no doubt - but gets your heart rate up and I feel soooooo good (helps that it's usually 60's soul, motown, Abba or good old fashioned disco!!) I think we should all meet up for a cyber boogie every evening at 6.00pm - half an hour of dancing knowing that others are joining in and thousand of nrighbours all over the world are staring bemusedly through lounge and kitchen windows everywhere!!!! Who's with me???? :bigsmile:

Oh - I love ABBA (dico too)! I'll have to stay away from windows though ... wouldn't want to scare the neighbors :laugh:
  • heleflump
    Options
    bump
  • Lindsey1985x
    Lindsey1985x Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well Zumba tonight was fab - Can't wait for swimming tomorrow.

I've been having a think and I might schedule in at least one night of Wii or Gym time to make it a "formal" session - it looks like i need that cut off in my head of saying "Right, i'm exercising now - get it done"

Thanks for the advice!

i'd be interested to know people favourite exercises?x
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I definitely do, I have a full gym including pool, tennis courts etc... at my disposal 24 hours a day and can't seem to drag myself to make use of them. I am considering paying to go back to curves because when i was going there, i was motivated make some friends and had a great time exercising. Just wish there was one a little closer. Then i think why don't i use what i have? ahhhh! i did break the barrier today and went to exercise in gym, last all of 15 minutes, i was bored, the tv wasn't working, oh i have a list of excuses. Thanks for posting this, it has given me some things to think about and act on!!! Have a great day
  • Lindsey1985x
    Lindsey1985x Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Sounds A brilliant idea! We could create a playlist, do the exercise and come back here to say how it went!! :D x